Warriors beaten in golden point

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors were beaten in golden point by Wakefield Trinity.
  • Despite scoring five tries, the Warriors were handed defeat after Will Daggers drop goal.
  • FT | Wakefield Trinity 27-26 Wigan Warriors.

Wigan Warriors fell to a 27-26 golden point defeat against Wakefield Trinity at the Be Well Support Stadium.

After a closely contested battle in West Yorkshire, which Trinity took to golden point with the final kick of normal time, Will Dagger’s drop goal saw the Warriors fall to defeat.


After losing Ethan Havard in the opening five minutes through injury, the Warriors went behind on 10 minutes when Wakefield worked the ball wide to Tom Lineham who was able to dive over. Will Dagger kicked the extras to give Trinity a 6-0 lead.

Jai Field almost went over shortly after play restarted, but after the hosts allowed a high kick to bounce, Field collected possession before sprinting more than 80m to score under the sticks. Harry Smith was successful with the goal attempt.  

The Warriors went ahead after 28 minutes when, following a knock on from Lineham, Brad O’Neill from the scrum played the ball to Bevan French who powered through the defence to touch down. Smith added the extras to put the Warriors 12-6 in front.

The hosts responded through Lee Kershaw after he intercepted a pass before accelerating more than 80m to dive over in the corner. Dagger kicked the extras from the tee to level the match five minutes before half time.  

David Fifita thought he had put Wakefield ahead with the final action of the half when he touched down between the sticks, however, a knock on in the build-up saw the score disallowed and the sides go into the break at 12-12.

A strong kick chase from the Warriors put Trinity under pressure in the opening minutes, and after a powerful carry from Patrick Mago, Field charged through a space in the defence to score his second of the match.

Wakefield fought back through Renouf Atoni just before the hour to reduce the score to two points, and the hosts went ahead on 62 minutes when a high kick wasn’t dealt with by the Warriors which allowed Antoni to pick up and set up Jai Whitbread to crash over. Dagger added both goals to put Trinity 24-20 ahead.

The Warriors hit back through Toby King after 66 minutes when, following a powerful initial run from Junior Nsemba, the ball was kept alive on the final tackle as play was worked to King to score. Smith kicked the Warriors into a 26-24 lead.

In a tense finish at the Be Well Support Stadium, a late hit on the Wakefield kicker presented Trinity with a penalty which Dagger successfully kicked to send the match to golden point.

After the Warriors kicked off the extra period, a knock on in the tackle saw possession returned to Wakefield before the ball was sent back to Dagger who slotted his drop goal attempt.


Wakefield Trinity: Max Jowitt, Tom Lineham, Reece Lyne, Samisoni Langi, Lee Kershaw, Will Dagger, Liam Kay, Josh Bowden, Liam Hood, Jai Whitbread, Jay Pitts, Matty Ashurst, Eddie Battye.

Interchanges: Harry Bowes, Kevin Proctor, Renouf Atoni, David Fifita.

18th Player: Jack Croft.

Tries: Lineham (10′), Kershaw (34′), Atoni (58′), Whitbread (62′).

Goals: Dagger (5/5).

Drop Goal: Dagger (1/1).

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Toby King, Iain Thornley, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Ethan Havard, Brad O’Neill, Liam Byrne, Morgan Smithies, Liam Farrell, Joe Shorrocks.

Interchanges: Brad Singleton, Junior Nsemba, Patrick Mago, Cade Cust.

18th Player: Harvie Hill.

Tries: Field (21′, 43′), French (28′), Marshall (52′), King (66′).

Goals: Smith (3/5).

Referee: Marcus Griffiths.

Friday 07 July 2023