Warriors Scholars defeat Tigers

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors Scholars defeat Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose-Jungle.
  • Warriors scored three tries in either half in West Yorkshire to record a third consecutive victory.
  • FT | Castleford Tigers Scholars 16-34 Wigan Warriors Scholars.

Wigan Warriors Scholars recorded a third consecutive victory after scoring six tries in a 34-16 win over Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.


Warriors started brightly in the West Yorkshire sunshine and the scoring was opened after six minutes when Joshua Swindley crashed over from close range. Wigan were unable to add the extras.

The hosts turned the game around with back-to-back tries after Alfie Lindsay first went over in the corner, before Taylor Robinson picked up and scooted through the defence to score. After both kicks were missed, Castleford led 8-4 having played 15 minutes.

Wigan responded excellently to falling behind as Robert Bentham levelled the match mid-way through the half, after he collected an offload to go over. Nathan Benson successfully kicked Warriors ahead.

The advantage was extended by a further six points after 26 minutes, when a two-on-one resulted in Vincent Arthurs crossing in the corner. Benson added the extra points once more.

After Jaiden Drachenberg was denied a fourth Wigan try being in touch when grounding, Castleford reduced the points difference through Alfie Dale minutes before the half time whistle. Due to Tigers failing to add the extras, Wigan led 16-12 at the break.

It took until 64 minutes for the first points of the second half to be scored, and they came when Finlay Yeomans showed quick feet to create space and dive over beneath the sticks. Benson slotted the kick to put Warriors 22-12 ahead.

The hosts responded before 70 minutes when Rhys Firth crashed over from close range, and despite a change of kicker, Castleford were unable to reduce the points difference further from the tee.

Warriors all but confirmed a third victory in a row with two tries in three minutes. First John Perry crashed over from close range, before George Marsden picked up an offload at pace to score. Benson was successful from the tee on both occasions, to give Wigan a 34-16 lead with seven minutes remaining.

The Cherry and Whites maintained their 18 point advantage until the final whistle, despite Tigers being awarded a penalty 10m out which was eventually knocked forward.

Castleford Tigers: Tylor Sharpe, Jack Pallister, Connor Dale, Alfie Lindsay, Leroy Ncube, Corey Jay Sharpe, Mitch Beedle, Rhys Firth, Taylor Robinson, Jay Dawson, Samuel Grice, Alfie Salmon, Leon Nester.

Interchange: Finley Foggin, Cameron Longstaff, Alfie Dale, Jack O’Marr, Sonny Wall.

18th Man: Bradley Bullock.

Tries: Lindsay (11′), Robinson (15′), Dale (38′), Firth (68′).

Goals: Beedle (0/3), Sharpe (0/1).

Wigan Warriors: Nathaniel Twiss, Jaiden Drachenberg, Thomas Bridge, Vincent Arthurs, Tobias Rich, Finlay Yeomans, Nathan Benson, Cameron Bate, Lewis Owens, John Perry, Joshua Swindley, Robert Bentham, Harlen Smith.

Interchange: George Marsden, Corben Ashurst, Connor Oxbury, Michael Porter.

18th Man: Leo Wadsworth.

Tries: Swindley (6′), Bentham (20′), Arthurs (26′), Yeomans (64′), Perry (70′), Marsden (73′).

Goals: Benson (5/6).

Referee: Luke Flavell.

Thursday 15 June 2023