Reserves rally against Robins

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors Reserves put in a big second half performance to take the win against Hull KR.
  • The Warriors scored eight tries on the afternoon, including a double from Logan Astley.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 42-18 Hull KR.

Wigan Warriors Reserves made it 11 wins from 11 to continue their perfect season with a superb 42-18 win over Hull Kingston Rovers.

A worrying start for the Warriors saw Kieran Tyrer and Finley Beardsworth both suffer injuries inside two minutes with some running repairs needed but the first score soon came with seven minutes on the clock. Junior Nsemba galloped through the Robins’ defence to race over for a try which Ben O’Keefe was unable to convert from a tight angle at 4-0.

 The visitors came close to levelling when Louix Gorman was chased down by Niall Povall after a dash down the wing and minutes later, they had success on the far wing as Darnell Byas-Tash collected a pass from Jack Potter to touch down for 4-4 with the conversion missed.

A succession of penalties and set restarts for the Robins saw them take the lead as Potter kicked through the defence to find the run of Gorman who made it 8-4.

Wigan’s battle to respond suffered a blow on the half hour mark as Max Wood was sent to the sinbin but it failed to hinder the Warriors with Logan Astley’s lofted kick finding Jacob Kilner-Douglas who caught the ball and crossed in the corner, O’Keefe’s conversion drifted past the post meaning the sides were level at 8-8 into the interval.

Whatever was said to the Warriors in the half-time interval paid off instantly with Tom Ratchford offloading to Astley for a try within a minute of the restart, O’Keefe converted from in front of the posts for a 14-8 lead.

Two tries in seven minutes put Wigan in control as Kilner-Douglas picked out Kieran Tyrer for a try under the posts which O’Keefe improved before crossing for a try of his own after collecting Astley’s lofted kick and converting for 26-8.

The Robins responded almost instantly as with the Warriors on the attack, a stray pass found the welcome arms of Oscar Collingwood who raced down the field to cross for a try but the conversion was missed at 26-12.

KR’s response continued with a strange try on 65 minutes, Connor Barley capitalising on a melee in the corner to collect and touch down and with Potter converting, the gap was down to eight at 26-18.

Wigan looked to have the game-sealer on 74 minutes with Toby Brannan diving over for a try which O’Keefe improved for 32-18 and thanks to superb chasing defence from Harry Smithers on Byas-Tash, the lead remained at 14.

The final three minutes saw the Warriors put the gloss on the win with a clever step and pass from Nsemba finding Astley for his second try of the afternoon which O’Keefe converted before Harvie Hill’s dash saw him offload to Ratchford who crossed for 42-18.

O’Keefe was unable to convert but seconda later, the final hooter sounded to a roar from the home fans celebrating another superb performance.

Wigan Warriors: Reagan Sumner, Niall Povall, Ben O’Keefe, Harry Smithers, Jacob Kilner-Douglas, Kieran Tyrer, Logan Astley, Jack Bibby, Reece Bushell, Harvie Hill, Junior Nsemba, Finley Beardsworth, Toby Brannan.

Interchanges: Tom Ratchford, Ellis Hobson, Harvey Wilson, Max Wood.

Tries: Nsemba (7′), Kilner-Douglas (34′), Astley (41′, 77′), Tyrer (46′), O’Keefe (54′), Brannan (74′), Ratchford (80′).

Goals: O’Keefe 5/8

Sin Bin: Wood (34′)

Hull Kingston Rovers: Harvey Moore, Darnell Byas-Tash, Connor Barley, Louix Gorman, Oscar Collingwood, Lennie Ellis, Jack Potter, Leo Tennison, Thomas Verity, Harry Price, Owen Maull, Korben Pratt, Charlie Beet.

Interchanges: Cameron Bellard, Sonny Cooper, Oliver Rusling, Jack Handley.

Tries: Byas-Tash (19′), Gorman (31′), Collingwood (56′), Barley (65′)

Goals: Potter 1/4.

By Simon Driscoll.