Warriors edge FC

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull FC at the DW Stadium.
  • Tries from Hastings, Farrell and Bibby seal the win.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 16-14 Hull FC.

Wigan edged Hull FC in a battle at the DW Stadium to preserve their winning start to the 2021 Betfred Super League season.

Tries from Jackson Hastings, Liam Farrell and Jake Bibby sealed the narrow win for the Warriors in Round 5.

The Cherry and Whites came flying out the blocks in the early stages, spending the majority of the opening 10 minutes in the opposition half.

They made the most of it in the 10th, when Jackson Hastings touched down for the opening try.

On the last the half back looked to move the ball left, before ducking inside his marker to cross the whitewash.

The travelling side grabbed their first score of the evening in the 17th minute through Adam Swift.

After Wigan’s Bevan French was pulled up for an incorrect play of the ball on the Warriors 20, FC moved the ball from right to left to enable the winger to score in the corner.

FC were reduced to 12 men in the 32nd minute when Jake Connor was shown a yellow card for a high tackle on Zak Hardaker close to the Hull line.

However, it was the away side who took the lead just three minutes later thanks to a converted penalty from Marc Sneyd.

Lam’s men struck back just three minutes later when stand-in centre Liam Farrell crossed in the corner. After winning a second set of six on the halfway line, the Warriors kept FC back peddling until Farrell breached their line to run home.

It was Hull who grabbed the first score after break through winder Mahe Fonua. A high kick hung in the corner was plucked by the FC wide man and touched down to put the Yorkshire side ahead.

Hull added two more points in the 52nd through Sneyd, kicking a penalty awarded after Ethan Havard was judged to have clashed with a Hull player late off the ball.

Finding a new lease of life, the Warriors found their attacking edge once more, scoring their third try of the night in the 58th minute. Jake Bibby was the man to cross, completing a good right edge move by scoring in the corner.

Wigan took the lead in the 66th minute thanks to a Zak Hardaker penalty. A slowing down of the ruck from FC saw the Warriors win a penalty in front of the sticks, which the full back dutifully converted.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Jake Bibby, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Jackson Hastings, Brad Singleton, Sam Powell, Tony Clubb, John Bateman, Morgan Smithies, Oliver Partington.

Interchanges: Joe Bullock, Liam Byrne, Ethan Havard, Joe Shorrocks.

Tries: Hastings (10′), Farrell (38′), Bibby (58′)

Goals: Hardaker (1/3)

Pentalties: Hardaker (66′)

Hull FC: Jake Connor, Mahe Fonua, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Adam Swift, Ben McNamara, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Ligi Sao, Andre Savelio, Jordan Lane, Joe Cator.

Interchanges: Brad Fash, Jordan Johnstone, Chris Satae, Cameron Scott.

Tries: Swift (17′), Fonua (46′)

Goals: Sneyd (1/1)

Penalties: Sneyd (35′), (52′)

Referee: James Child

Alternative Kit 2021