Position: Hooker / Scrum half
Date of birth: 03/07/1992
Heritage number: 1041
Height: 5ft 9
Previous club: Wigan Academy (Wigan St Pats ARLFC)
Representative honours: England Knights
Wigan Debut: vs Hull FC (H), scrum half (one try), won 48-10 at DW Stadium, 03/08/2012
World Club Challenge: 2017
Super League: 2016, 2018 GFs
League Leaders’ Shield: 2012 (one appearance), 2020
One of Wigan’s hardcore players in the middle of the field, Sam Powell is a double Super League winner after triumphs in 2016 and 2018.
- A versatile player who is equally competent at hooker or half back, as seen in 2016 when he was named Players’ Player of the Year after standing in at nine for much of the year.
- Joined Wigan at the age of 16 from Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC.
- Spent four years in the Club’s Academy and played a starring role in the 2011 Academy Grand Final win over Warrington Wolves.
- Made his first team debut in August 2012, scoring a try in a win over Hull FC.
- Held down a regular spot in the first team during 2014 and signed a new long-term deal with the Club on the eve of the 2015 season.
- Won the Super League Grand Final at the third attempt in 2016.
- Started at hooker in the 2017 World Club Challenge win over Cronulla Sharks and featured off the bench in the 2017 Challenge Cup Final vs Hull FC.
- Won his second Grand Final ring after starting at hooker against Warrington in 2018.
- Selected for the 2018 England Knights’ Tour of Papa New Guinea and played in both games, five years after his last appearance when he scored two tries against Samoa.
- Signed a new three-year contract in December 2018.
- Played 27 times under Adrian Lam in 2019, playing a key role in the centre of Wigan’s defence and attack.
- Was called up to the England Knights squad in October and started in the 38-6 win in the international fixture win over Jamaica.
- An ever-present in the League Leaders’ Shield winning side of 2020, Powell made 18 appearances, scoring an impressive 12 tries in all competitions.
- Powell was a consistent starter for the Warriors in 2021 too, making 23 appearances and going over for 3 tries.