Date of birth: 03/07/1992
Heritage number: 1041
Height: 5ft 9
Previous club: Wigan Academy (Wigan St Pats ARLFC)
Representative honours: England Knights
Wigan Debut: vs Hull FC (H), scrum-half (one try), won 48-10 at DW Stadium, 03/08/2012
World Club Challenge: 2017
Super League: 2016, 2018 GFs
League Leaders’ Shield: 2012 (one appearance)
One of Wigan’s hardcore players in the middle of the field, Sam Powell is a double Super League winner after triumphs in 2016 and 2018.
- A versatile player who is equally competent at half-back or hooker, as seen in 2016 when he was named Players’ Player of the Year after standing in at nine for much of the year.
- Joined Wigan at the age of 16 from Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC.
- Spent four years in the Club’s Academy and played a starring role in the 2011 Academy Grand Final win over Warrington Wolves.
- Made his First Team debut in August 2012, scoring a try in a win over Hull FC.
- Held down a regular spot in the first team during 2014 and signed a new long-term deal with the Club on the eve of the 2015 season.
- Won the Super League Grand Final at the third attempt in 2016.
- Started at hooker in the 2017 World Club Challenge win over Cronulla Sharks and featured off the bench in the 2017 Challenge Cup Final vs Hull FC.
- Won his second Grand Final ring after starting at hooker against Warrington in 2018.
- Selected for the 2018 England Knights’ Tour of Papa New Guinea and played in both games, five years after his last appearance when he scored two tries against Samoa.
- Signed a new three year contract in December 2018 that will see him bring up a decade of service with the Warriors.
- Played 27 times under Adrian Lam in 2019, playing a key role in the centre of Wigan’s defence and attack.
- Was called up to the England Knights squad in October and started in the 38-6 win in the international fixture win over Jamaica.