Date of birth: 18/08/2001
Height: 6ft 1
Previous club: Wigan Academy (Shevington Sharks ARLFC)
Representative honours: England Academy
After a fast progression in Wigan’s Academy with two Grand Final winning medals to show for, Halsall was given the No.35 jersey as part of Adrian Lam’s first team squad for the 2020 season.
- Born in Lancaster on 18th August 2001, Sam moved to Orrell at a young age and grew up in Wigan.
- He went to the same school as fellow teammate Joe Shorrocks, who was in the year above him at St. Peters Catholic High School.
- After being inspired by his dad who encouraged him to take up rugby league, Sam joined Shevington Sharks ARLFC at the age of six.
- At amateur level, he played at full-back and then moved into the halves. After signing for Wigan’s Scholarship system in 2016, he played on the wing and at full-back, before moving into centre in the Academy.
- In his first season playing for the Under-19s team in 2018, Sam made 13 appearances, scoring four tries. He went on to become a Academy Super League winner after appearing in the Grand Final 14-6 win over Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium.
- In 2019, Sam progressed in the Under-19s and cemented a permanent place in Shane Eccles’ side, scoring eight tries and converting 13 goals in 19 games.
- He started at centre in Wigan’s Under-19s’ fifth straight Grand Final appearance and helped the Warriors to their third consecutive title and tenth in the last 12 seasons, following the 22-10 victory over St Helens at the DW Stadium.
- Making a name for himself on the big stage, Halsall has scored a try in each of the last two Academy Grand Finals for Wigan.
- Whilst playing within Wigan’s Academy system, the 6ft 1 centre has represented Lancashire four times in the Origin series against Yorkshire.
- After being given a place in the first team squad for the first time in the off-season, Halsall could make his professional debut in 2020.