Position: Loose Forward
Date of birth: 7/11/2000
Heritage number: 1094
Wigan Debut: vs Catalans Dragons (H), loose forward (sub), won 42-0 at the DW Stadium, 31/03/2019
An Academy loose forward who made his Wigan Warriors debut at the age of 18 and became the first player born in the current decade to play for the club.
- Born in Halifax, Smithies learned his rugby league trade as he played for amateur club Siddal ARLFC.
- The youngster caught the eye of former Warriors Yorkshire scout Tom Bickerton in 2015, as he went on to join Wigan’s scholarship system.
- Smithies settled impressively into the Wigan Academy, whilst also representing England at Youth level.
- After picking up the 2017 Wigan Warriors Under-16s Players of the Year award, the loose forward added an Under-19s Grand Final winners medal last year.
- Whilst having a taste of playing at the DW Stadium, Smithies inspired his team with a Man of the Match performance in Wigan’s record ninth Academy Grand Final win in 11 years.
- In his first year overall at Under-19s level, Smithies made 22 appearances, including 20 starts and scored three tries. So far in 2019, the Yorkshirman has started in all three games, whilst scoring one try.
- Having sustained a permanent place in the Under-19s team as a strong back bone, Smithies has progressed immensely.
- Since making his debut, he has emulated the likes of Ollie Partington and Liam Byrne who are now regular starters in the Wigan team.
- 18-year-old has taken in the values of the club, something which has seen him become a rising star for now and the future.