Position: Loose forward
Date of birth: 25/11/1999
Heritage number: 1095
Previous club: Wigan Academy (Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC)
Wigan Debut: vs Wakefield Trinity (A), second row (sub), lose 30-20 at The Mobile Rocket Stadium, 12/04/19
League Leaders’ Shield: 2020
Before deciding to fully concentrate on Rugby League, Shorrocks played for Preston North End Football Club Academy as well as Lancashire County Cricket Club.
- Born in Billinge, Shorrocks grew up in Wigan and went to St. Peters High School in Orrell.
- He balanced his love for football and cricket, as he turned to Rugby League – playing for amateur club Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC.
- Shorrocks signed for the Wigan Scholarship system in 2014 and progressed immensely in the Under-16s and Under-19s teams as a loose forward.
- Not only playing for Lancashire’s and England’s youth sides, he was a member of the successful England Academy who beat Australia 2-0 in the 2018 series.
- After making 20 appearances and scoring five tries for Wigan’s Under-19s team in 2018, the back rower was part of the Academy Grand Final winning side against Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium.
- He made his senior debut for Wigan in April 2019 as he came off the bench against Wakefield Trinity.
- Continuing to play for the Under-19s throughout 2019, he played 18 games, scored six tries and featured in the Grand Final victory over St Helens at the DW Stadium.
- In his debut full season in the first team in 2020, Shorrocks provided an important role of the bench, making seven appearances in total. He tasted success for the first time as the Warriors lifted the League Leaders’ Shield.
- Shorrocks broke through in 2021, making 28 appearances as an ever-present and grabbing 2 tries.
- At the 2021 End of Season Awards evening, Shorrocks was awarded Joint Young Player of the Year alongside Kai Pearce-Paul.
- 2021 also saw Joe Shorrocks awarded Top Tackler in Super League, making 833 tackles throughout the season.