Position: Scrum half
Date of birth: 25/01/2000
Heritage number: 1099
Height: 5ft 8
Previous club: Wigan Academy (Halton Farnworth Hornets)
Representative honours: England Knights
Wigan Debut: vs Catalans Dragons (H), scrum half (sub) (scored one try), won 46-12 at the DW Stadium, 06/09/19
League Leaders’ Shield: 2020
A three-time Academy Grand Final winner, Harry Smith impressed in his first full season in 2020 – making 17 appearances and scoring four tries.
- A former St. Jude’s ARLFC junior, Widnes-born Smith joined Wigan’s Scholarship system as a 14-year-old from Halton Farnworth Hornets.
- The half back’s rise through the Academy saw him become captain of the Under-19s, as well as a three-time Grand Final winner (2017, 2018 and 2019) and the 2018 Under-19s Player of the Year.
- Smith was influential as he captained England’s Academy side to a 2-0 series win against Australia in December 2018.
- In 2019, the scrum half joined Swinton Lions on loan in the Championship, as well as playing for Wigan’s Under-19s.
- He made his first team debut for Wigan in September 2019, coming off the bench and scoring a try in a 46-12 win over Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium.
- After a special season, Smith was rewarded internationally, with a call up to the England Knights squad for the first time and started in the halves in the 38-6 international fixture win over Jamaica in October 2019.
- Smith impressed in his first full season in the first team in 2020, making 17 appearances, scoring four tries and converting two drop goals. His injection of creativity throughout the campaign helped Wigan to their first League Leaders’ Shield since 2012.