Position: Prop forward
Date of birth: 21/04/1992
Heritage number: 1101
Height: 6ft 4
Previous club: South Sydney Rabbitohs
Representative honours: England, England Knights
Wigan Debut: vs Warrington Wolves (H), prop, won 16-10 at the DW Stadium, 30/01/2020
NRL Premiership: 2014
World Club Challenge: 2015
NRL Auckland Nines: 2015
Dally M Rookie of Year: 2013
Rugby League International Federation Rookie of the Year: 2013
An experienced powerhouse in the middle of the forward pack, George Burgess is a new recruit for Adrian Lam’s side in 2020.
- Born in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire George played his junior rugby league for Dewsbury Moor.
- In 2010, he represented England against Australian Schoolboys, whilst playing for Bradford Bulls’ Academy teams before signing for South Sydney Rabbitohs.
- He is part of a family who have rugby league in their DNA. His father, Mark, played for Rochdale Hornets and Dewsbury, while his eldest brother, Luke, played for Salford Red Devils. George currently plays alongside middle brother Sam, and elder twin brother Tom at South Sydney.
- In Round 13 of the 2012 NRL season, the prop made his debut for the Rabbitohs under former Wigan Head Coach Michael Maguire, as he came off the bench in a 23-18 defeat to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.
- In Round 1 of the 2013 NRL season, Burgess scored his first try for Souths in a 28-10 win over Sydney Roosters.
- In August 2013, the Burgess brothers became the first contingent of four brothers to play in a same Australian side since 1910. Sam, Tom and George all featured in the Rabbitohs’ 32-18 victory against Wests Tigers.
- The 6ft 4 forward has enjoyed trophy success during his ten seasons at Souths. In 2014, he started at prop and scored a try in the Rabbitohs’ 30-6 NRL Grand Final win over Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, whilst also playing alongside brother, Sam and twin brother, Tom.
- In January 2015, he was named in South’s tournament winning 2015 NRL Auckland Nines squad and a month later played in the World Club Challenge 39-0 triumph over St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium, in which he won the Man of the Match award.
- Burgess is not short of individual plaudits too, as he was named the 2013 Dally M Rookie of Year, which capped off a sensational first full season at the Rabbitohs. He also received the Rugby League International Federation Rookie of the Year award for 2013.
- On the international stage, George has played for England and England Knights. In October 2012, he represented Knights for the first time, before being selected in England’s 2013 Rugby League World Cup squad. In the tournament, Burgess played in five games and scored his first international try, which came against Australia in the first pool match.
- He has also played in England’s three Four Nations matches in both 2014 and 2016. From 2013 to 2018, he has played 15 games for England and has scored two tries.
- In 2019, Burgess played 12 times for Souths, making 175 tackles and 831 metres. Overall, he has made 147 appearances for the Rabbitohs, winning 89 of those games and scoring 13 tries.
- Burgess made his acting debut in the Australian/New Zealand crime thriller film, ‘Locusts’, playing a bouncer called Ivan.
- On 28th July 2019, Burgess signed a three-year contract with Wigan, starting from 2020.
- He made his debut for the Warriors in the opening game of the 2020 Betfred Super League season – a 16-10 win over Warrington Wolves at the DW Stadium.