Position: Full back
Date of birth: 04/01/1996
Heritage number: 1098
Previous club: Parramatta Eels
Representative honours: NRL Indigenous All Stars
Wigan Debut: vs Hull KR (H), wing (sub), won 36-18 at DW Stadium, 09/08/19
Challenge Cup: 2022
League Leaders’ Shield: 2020
Super League Dream Team: 2020, 2022
Renowned for his electric pace and dancing feet, Bevan French can play a variety of positions in the backline and in the halves.
- Born in Tingha, New South Wales, French is of Indigenous Australian descent and played his junior rugby league for Tingha Tigers RLFC.
- He is the nephew of former Australian international and St George Illawarra Dragons and Hull FC winger Nathan Blacklock.
- A noted finisher, French made 47 appearances for Parramatta Eels since his debut in May 2016 and scored 35 tries overall.
- The Australian back also represented the Indigenous All Stars in 2017.
- He joined Wigan halfway through the 2019 season after being granted a release from Parramatta.
- French made his debut for Wigan as he came off the bench in the 36-18 win over Hull KR at the DW Stadium on 9th August and scored a try on his first start for the Club a week later in the victory against Warrington Wolves.
- He went on to play eight times for the Warriors in 2019 and scored six tries.
- French became top try scorer for Wigan in the 2020 season, touching down 17 tries in 21 games in all competitions.
- Alongside fellow Warrior Liam Farrell, he was named in the 2020 Betfred Super League Dream Team at full back.
- The Australian helped Wigan to secure silverware in 2020, clinching the League Leaders’ Shield following a win in the final regular season round over Huddersfield Giants.
- After an outstanding 2020 season, French was awarded Players’ Player of the Year and Player of the Year in the Club’s End of Season Awards.
- He was also named the Rugby League Writers’ and Broadcasters’ Association Player of the Year for 2020 and shortlisted for the 2020 Steve Prescott Man of Steel.
- The 25-year-old signed a new deal at the end of the 2020 season to remain with the Warriors for 2021.
- French suffered a season ending hamstring injury in May 2021 and returned home to Australia to complete rehabilitation.
- The Full back did exercise his additional year option and will return to the Warriors for pre-season ahead of the 2022 season.
- French set a new Super League record as he scored seven tries in a single match against Hull FC in July 2022 and his fantastic work in the 2022 season saw him selected in the Super League Dream Team for a second time in his career.
- The outside back received the Top Try Scorer award at the 2022 Super League awards as he finished the year with 31 tries.