Wigan Warriors Community Foundation have launched the inaugural Men’s Lancashire Touch Rugby League Cup 2020 in partnership with State of Mind, UCLan, The RFL and Healthier Lancashire and South Cumbria to encourage positive mental health and prevent suicide.
The league is designed to be delivered in association with Male Mental Health Charity State of Mind, with support from the NHS Lancashire and South Cumbria’s Male suicide prevention fund.
The Lancashire Touch Rugby League will run from the UCLan Sports Arena based in Preston, from 7.30pm-9pm for eight weeks starting on Thursday the 9th January 2020.
Mike Wearden from Wigan Warriors Community Foundation, said: “It is estimated that one in four people will experience a mental health illness each year in the UK. For these people, the pressures and strains of life and work can act as a catalyst to mental health problems, with the most common being depression and anxiety and males being an ‘at-risk’ group.
“With this in mind, we as a Community Foundation have looked a number of ways of engaging males to promote healthy mental health here in Wigan with the ‘Back on Side’ and the ‘Lose Weight Feel Great’ programme through our community clubs and the Foundation and we’re delighted to extend this work further into Lancashire with the help of State of Mind and NHS Lancashire and South Cumbria targeting the prevention of male suicide for Lancashire and South Cumbria residents.”
What you need to know about the Lancashire Touch League
• Will run from 9th January for eight weeks
• Takes place at UCLan’s Sports Arena, based in Preston
• The eight weeks will be delivered in partnership with State of Mind and see past players such as Danny Sculthorpe host and open proceedings with insights into their careers and mental health issues/battles they have faced and overcome.
• Followed by the competitive Men’s touch league which will take place on the main grass pitch at UCLan sports arena and result in the winners being crowned first ever Lancashire Touch Rugby League Cup winners.
• It’s 6-a-side plus subs.
• For further information please contact the team at: Community@wiganwarriors.com
What you need to know about Wigan Warriors Community Foundation’s ‘Back On Side’ Programme
• Ten week program.
• Aimed at men in the Wigan borough.
• Sessions are based around skills/drills and game of touch rugby.
• Participants have access to online educational material such as nutrition tips, exercise advice and general health & well-being.
What you need to know about Wigan Warriors Community Foundation’s ‘Lose Weight Feel Great Campaign’
• A Free 12 week program for men over 25% BMI.
• Weekly nutritional advice.
• A variety of different sessions to cater for all fitness levels.
• Target to help participants lose 5-10% Bodyweight over the 12 weeks
If you are interested in either of the above Wigan based programmes please contact Darren at: D.Marsh@wiganwarriors.com.