U19s progress to Grand Final

U19s progress to Grand Final

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors Under-19s beat Warrington Wolves to reach the Academy Super League Grand Final.

  • Cian Tyrer grabbed a hat-trick to help Shane Eccles’ side on their way to victory.

  • The win sets up a Grand Final clash against St Helens at the DW Stadium next week.

Wigan Warriors Under-19s secured their place in the Academy Super League Grand Final with a 50-22 victory over Warrington Wolves on Saturday afternoon.

Cian Tyrer played a starring role as he grabbed a hat-trick to help Shane Eccles’ side on their way to a victory. Max Roberts scored a brace whilst James McDonnell, Amir Bourouh, Joe Shorrocks and Harry Smith also touched down.

Wigan’s 22nd win of the season and their 16 triumph on the bounce sets up a Grand Final clash against local rivals St Helens at the DW Stadium next Friday (5:30pm K.O.), ahead of the first team Play-Off Qualifier Game vs Salford Red Devils.

After just seven minutes, Wigan took the lead through second row Roberts, after he found a gap in the Warrington defence to dive over for the opener. Four minutes later, winger Tyrer doubled his side’s advantage, going over after finding space out on the right edge.

The visitors quickly responded, as Taylor Brown pulled one back for the Wolves. Riley Dean was on hand to add the extras to make it 8-6.

On the half hour mark, Eccles’ team extended their cushion, with forward McDonnell forcing his way through the Warrington line. After missing the two previous kicks, Smith made amends as he added the two points for the Warriors.

The Wolves fought back once again soon after, as former Warrior Reece Hamlett went over to narrow the deficit.

Just before the break, Tyrer got his second, diving over in the corner with ease. Smith added the touchline kick to make it 20-10 at half-time. Ten minutes into the second half, Tyrer bagged himself a hat-trick as he used his lightening pace to go over on the edge. Smith made no mistake with the kick.

Roberts was also in a try scoring mood, as he found a gap in the defence for his second of the afternoon. Smith, once again, converted to put Wigan 32-10 in front.

Hooker Bourouh was the next man to add his name to the scoresheet, as he made an excellent break from the half way line to race away to score. Smith added his fifth kick to take the Warriors to 38 points.

Warrington were able to pull another back, as Brown went over for his second. Dean added the extras to make it 38-16.

But, in the final ten minutes Shorrocks and Smith darted over for Wigan’s eighth and ninth tries, with the latter converting both to get his side to 50.

Ben Ivory managed to pull back another consolation for the Wolves later on, with Dean adding the two points on the sound of the final hooter.

The game finished 50-22 and the win for the Warriors earns them a place in the Grand Final where they will meet St Helens next Friday.

Wigan Warriors U19s: Umyla Hanley, Cian Tyrer, Sam Halsall, Max Roberts, Ben Holcroft, Adam Holt, Harry Smith, Ethan Havard, Amir Bourouh, Nathan Wilde, Harry Rushton, James McDonnell, Joe Shorrocks.

Interchanges: Ben O’Keefe, Adam Lavin, Oscar Stone, Jack Bibby.

Tries: Roberts (7,’ 54’), Tyrer (12,’ 39,’ 50’), McDonnell (30’), Bourouh (58’), Shorrocks (70’), Smith (75’)

Conversions: Smith (7/9)

Warrington Wolves U19s: Josh Thewlis, Reece Hamlett, Callum Green, Cole Oakley, Aaron Pimblett, Riley Dean, Joe Barnes, Taylor Brown, Jamie Abram, Dan Harper, Ellis Longstaff, Connor Wrench, Eribe Doro.

Interchanges: George Roby, Ben Ivory, Jacob Gannon, Alex Pendlebury.

Tries: Brown (17,’ 61’), Hamlett (34’), Ivory (79’)

Conversions: Dean (3/4)

Recent News & Media

2019 review: May
Warriors in Knights training
England Academy to face Wales
Powell named Knights captain