- Train with the Champions!
- Celebrate Girls in Rugby League
- This Girl Can
To follow on from International Women’s Day – Friday March 8th, and our successful girls pathway programme, Wigan Warriors are extending the opportunities to engage more girls into the sport. We will be hosting a unique training opportunity prior to the Wigan v Castelford Tigers fixture with the current Womens’ Super League Champions.
The opportunity will be an open invite to all girls aged 7-16 that play rugby, have been thinking about playing rugby but have not yet made that first step or have a general interest in the sport. We’ll be working with locals schools and communities to get girls to experience this first training opportunity with Wigan Warriors Women’s Team – The inaugural Super League Champions.
Wigan Warriors Player, Rachel Thompson stated, “As a club we work very hard to support all members of the rugby league community, with my focus being Women and Girls this presents a great chance for so many young players to take their first step into the sport. I’ve been very fortunate and worked hard to get here. I want to make sure that pathway continues to exist and open it up to as many as we can.”
The training opportunity will aim to bring more girls into the game at a younger age and progress along our newly formed England Talent Pathway for girls. We’ve had success this year with member of the Womens team progressing to earn international honours and attendees of our junior camps being included in the RFL Regional Hubs.
Community Innovation Manager, Anthony Atherton added, “This is a another positive step for us as a club and for the Wigan community. We pride ourselves on being bold and innovative, by doing things differently we can create more opportunities for more people. Following on from the inaugural Womens Super League win, we will be continuing to develop pathways for girls and women to climb to the top of the sport.”
The opportunity to train with the Womens Inaugural Super League Champions starts at 2:30pm on Saturday 27th April prior to Wigan Warriors vs Castleford Tigers
- START TIME: 2:30pm – Players to arrive from 2:00pm
- VENUE: Robin Park, Loire Drive, Wigan
- AGES: U7 to U16 Girls!
- PRICE: £5 per player, includes match ticket and half-time parade.
To avoid disappointment register your interest for our U7 – U16 Train With the Champions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively call 07891 882048.
- The format will be smaller sided games and core skill development.
- The teams will receive coaching from current Womens Super League Players.
- There is no limit to the number of players that you can bring.
- The session will run from 2:30pm – 3:45pm, players to arrive from 2:00pm
- Game kick-off 5:15pm, turnstiles to the Castleford Tigers game open from 3:45pm
- All girls attending the training session are invited to joining the champions in the half time parade to promoting women in sport.
Additional tickets for the game may be purchased for £15 adult and £5 juniors. Spectators who are under 5 years of age are admitted free of charge.
We would very much appreciate it, if you or an alternative club contact could please confirm your intention to participate as soon as possible and, if your club is attending, your ticket requirements to be submitted no later than 5 days prior to the game in order to arrange ticket delivery.