Wakefield 32 Wigan 16

Wakefield 32 Wigan 16

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors lose to Wakefield Trinity at the Mobile Rocket Stadium on Thursday night

  • Wakefield score five tries to take a 32-16 win

  • Gabe Hamlin, Tom Davies and Morgan Escaré with Wigan’s tries


Wigan Warriors lost 32-16 against Wakefield Trinity on Thursday night.

Ben Jones-Bishop opened the scoring and Ryan Hampshire made it 6-0 after 16 minutes with a penalty goal.

Tommy Leuluai was shown a yellow card for a late tackle half way through the first 40 and Wakefield made Wigan pay as Reece Lyne touched down. Hampshire converted and soon added another penalty goal to make it 14-0.

Gabe Hamlin got Wigan on the scoresheet before the break but Jones-Bishop put Wakefield further in front as he got his second of the game with a 90-metre interception try shortly after half time.

Tom Johnstone then scored and Hampshire converted another penalty goal. Tom Davies and Morgan Escare gave Wigan hope of a late fightback but Pauli Pauli confirmed the win with Trinity’s fifth try.


Chris Chester made two changes to Wakefield’s side as Matty Ashurst and Danny Kirmond both returned. James Batchelor and Chris Annakin missed out.

Shaun Wane made four changes, as Craig Mullen made his Super League debut on the wing. Dan Sarginson returned while Gabe Hamlin and Callum Field came in on from the bench.


Wakefield opened the scoring as Ben Jones-Bishop touched down in the corner. Trinity got the ball out wide through a string of passes and the winger managed to muscle off the tackle to give his side an early lead. Former Wigan man Ryan Hampshire missed the kick but the home side were 4-0 ahead.

Hampshire made amends for his earlier miss on the 16th minute, as he converted a penalty goal to make it 6-0 after referee James Child deemed a dangerous tackle from Romain Navarrete.

Things soon got worse for Wigan, as Tommy Leuluai was sent to the bin for a late tackle on Justin Horo.

Wakefield made the extra man count a minute later as Reece Lyne powered his way over the line. The centre charged from dummy half towards the whitewash and crashed over from close range. Hampshire added the two points to make it 12-0 after 21 minutes.

Trinity extended their lead to 14-0, as Hampshire added another penalty goal after a high shot close to the line.

The Warriors got back in to it four minutes before the break as Gabe Hamlin scored his first try for the club. Wigan worked the ball well on the right side and it was Sean O’Loughlin’s short pass which found Hamlin who went through the gap to go over. Sam Tomkins added the extras to make it 14-6.

HALF TIME: Wakefield Trinity 14–6 Wigan Warriors


Wigan were on the attack early in the second half but Jones-Bishop intercepted O’Loughlin’s pass and the winger ran 90 metres to score under the posts. Hampshire converted and Trinity went 20-6 in front after 42 mintes.

The Warriors continued to fight but the home side made it 24-6 just before the hour mark as Tom Johnstone dived over. Jacob Miller put a neat grubber kick towards the line, the ball ricocheted off Willie Isa and Johnstone picked the ball up and acrobatically scored in the left corner. Hampshire could not add the two points.

However, the full back kicked a penalty goal two minutes later as Wigan were called offside. Wakefield now 26-6 to the good.

Wigan went over with eight minutes remaining through Tom Davies. The winger was picked out by Sam Tomkins’ swift pass and Davies still had it all to do, as he cut back inside and powered his way towards the line to score. Tomkins added the extras to make it 26-12.

Morgan Escaré gave Wigan hope of a late revival as he eased over the line. The Warriors broke through the Trinity line on the left and the ball eventually came to Escaré who found a gap to score over on the right side. Tomkins missed the kick so the score stood at 26-16.

Wigan came forward again but an error in centre field allowed Wakefield possession and they made sure of the two points when Pauli Pauli scored on the right side with three minutes left. Pauli took a short pass and bulldozed his way over from close range. Hampshire converted and Trinity had the game won, 32-16.

FULL TIME: Wakefield Trinity 32–16 Wigan Warriors

Match Details

Wakefield Trinity– 32

Tries: Jones-Bishop (2), Lyne, Johnstone, Pauli

Goals: Hampshire 6/8

Wigan Warriors– 16

Tries: Hamlin, Davies, Escare

Goals: Tomkins 2/3

HT: 14–6

Attendance: 4,681

Wakefield Trinity: 21. Max Jowitt, 5. Ben Jones-Bishop, 4. Reece Lyne, 3. Bill Tupou, 2. Tom Johnstone, 6. Jacob Miller, 25. Ryan Hampshire, 8. David Fifita, 13. Tyler Randell, 10. Anthony England, 11. Matty Ashurst, 12. Danny Kirmond, 14. Justin Horo

Interchange: 9. Kyle Wood, 16. Tinirau Arona, 20. Keegan Hirst, 15. Pauli Pauli

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 3. Dan Sarginson, 4. Oliver Gildart, 38. Craig Mullen (D), 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 25. Romain Navarrete, 14. John Bateman, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 19. Willie Isa, 20. Morgan Escare, 27. Callum Field, 30. Gabe Hamlin

Referee: James Child

Recent News & Media

Life is a Matter of Cherry & White
2018 in pictures
Club Statement - Zak Hardaker
Job Vacancy

Official Partners