Castleford 54 Wigan 4

Castleford 54 Wigan 4

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors lose 54-4 to Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Saturday night

  • Joe Burgess, Micky McIlorum and Willie Isa replace Anthony Gelling, Nick Gregson and Joel Tomkins in Shaun Wane’s Wigan outfit

  • Sam Powell with Wigan’s try, George Williams, Anthony Gelling and Ben Flower all limp off injured


Wigan Warriors missed the opportunity to go top of the Betfred Super League table as they lost 54-4 against Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Castleford took a 14-0 lead thanks to tries from Adam Milner and Michael Shenton as well as a Luke Gale penalty goal. Wigan hit back with a try from Sam Powell but the home side led 26-4 at half-time with later tries coming from Matt Cook and Mike McMeeken.

The Tigers scored five unanswered tries in the second-half through Luke Gale, Grant Millington, Jake Webster and a double from Greg Minikin to seal a 54-4 victory.


Anthony Gelling, Joel Tomkins and Josh Ganson replaced Nick Gregson, Romain Navarrete and Tommy Leuluai in the Warriors team, with Ganson making his First Team debut.

Recent England call-ups Zak Hardaker, Luke Gale and Mike McMeeken featured for Castleford.


Castleford started quick and motored their way up the field inside the opening minute through a Michael Shenton break. Tom Davies then tackled the supporting Luke Gale but a quick play-the-ball saw Adam Milner scoot over the line from close range. Gale converted to put his side 6-0 up.

Anthony Gelling pulled up for the Warriors and had to leave the field, which momentarily left Wigan down to 12 men and Cas’ scored on the back of it as Shenton made a break down that left edge to score. Gale added the conversion and Wigan were 12-0 ahead with 10 minutes played.

Castleford were awarded a penalty midway through the first-half due to Wigan interfering at the play-the-ball. Warriors prop Frank-Paul Nuuausala was then sin-binned for dissent following the decision and Gale kicked to the penalty goal to stretch the Tigers’ lead to 14-0.

Sam Powell, playing in the halves in place of the injured Tommy Leuluai, then crossed for a nice individual try as he darted across the Castleford defence to spot a gap and score. Morgan Escare failed to convert but Wigan trailed 14-4 after half an hour.

The hosts quickly replied though with a try of their own, Matt Cook crashed over the Wigan try-line after receiving a short ball from Paul McShane. Gale added the extras to make the score 20-4 in favour of Castleford.

Mike McMeeken scored for the Tigers in the latter stages of the half, the big forward charged through a gap in the Wigan defence to touch down beneath the sticks. The conversion was on target and Castleford were 26-4 to the good.

Josh Ganson debuted off the bench and nearly scored just minutes after coming off the bench as he scooted over from dummy-half but the referee said he was held up.

Gale attempted a drop-goal with seconds left of the half but it cannoned back off both the post and crossbar meaning the score stayed at 26-4.

HALF TIME: Castleford Tigers 26–4 Wigan Warriors


France international Morgan Escaré was sin-binned five minutes after the restart for a high shot on Gale. The attempted tackle did stop Gale from scoring but Cas soon had another as they used the overlap by passing it along the line to Greg Minikin who finished neatly in the corner. Gale missed the conversion attempt but Castleford led 30-4.

Daryl Powell’s side extended their lead when a run-around between Grant Millington and Gale resulted in the England half-back scoring. Gale converted to put his side 36-4 in front after 49 minutes.

Wigan were struggling to deal with Castleford’s fast attacking threat and Cas’ scored from a quick breakway. Joe Burgess charged down a kick but McShane picked up the loose ball and raced down the field before assisting Millington who scored. The conversion was good and Castleford were 42-4 in front.

Jake Webster put the Tigers further ahead on the hour-mark, the centre stormed onto a pass from McMeeken to barge over. Gale kicked the conversion and Wigan were 48-4 behind.

Castleford scored a nice passing move late on following a break from McMeeken. The forward gave it to Hardaker who passed it out wide to Minikin who grabbed his second. McShane added the conversion from out wide to put his side 54-4 ahead and complete the scoring.

FULL TIME: Castleford Tigers 54–4 Wigan Warriors

Match Details

Castleford Tigers - 54

Tries: Adam Milner, Michael Shenton, Matt Cook, Mike McMeeken, Greg Minikin 2, Luke Gale, Grant Millington, Jake Webster

Goals: Luke Gale 9/10

Wigan Warriors - 4

Tries: Sam Powell

Goals: Morgan Escaré 0/1

HT: 26-4

Attendance: 9,333

Castleford Tigers: 1 Zak Hardaker, 2. Greg Minikin, 3. Jake Webster, 4. Michael Shenton, 5. Greg Eden, 16. Ben Roberts, 7. Luke Gale, 10. Grant Millington, 9. Paul McShane, 14. Nathan Massey, 15. Jesse Sene-Lefao, 12. Mike McMeeken, 13. Adam Milner

Interchange 17. Junior Moors, 6. Rangi Chase, 18. Matt Cook, 21. Joel Monaghan

Wigan Warriors: 22. Morgan Escaré, 36. Tom Davies, 3. Anthony Gelling, 5. Joe Burgess, 35. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 16. Sam Powell, 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala, 9. Michael Mcilorum, 10. Ben Flower, 11. Joel Tomkins, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 17. Taulima Tautai, 19. Ryan Sutton, 20. Willie Isa, 33. Josh Ganson

Referee - Robert Hicks

Recent News & Media

2019 Community Blitz
Wigan duo head to Leigh
Christmas Giveaway: Day 1
Big pre-season: Smithies