Wigan Out Of Cup After Great Show

Wigan Out Of Cup After Great Show

Wigan bowed out of the Carnegie Challenge Cup after a nail biter of a game at Headingley-Carnegie on Saturday afternoon.

A late Lee Smith try sent Leeds Rhinos through to the semi-finals after a dramatic 12-10 win in rain soaked conditions.

It was penalties all the way in a tense compelling cup tie and it looked as if Wigan had sneaked through 8-10 before the late Smith touchdown with just two minutes left.

Wigan welcomed back Amos Roberts on the right wing, the Aussie has been out for the last 8 weeks with a posterior cruciate ligament injury picked up on Easter Monday against Wakefield. On the bench the Warriors included young second row forward Chris Tuson for only his second appearance for the first team.

Leeds were without the suspended Webb and the injured Burrow, Jamie Peacock was selected on the Rhinos bench.

Both sides were guilty of a nervous start with numerous handling errors and penalties. Andy Coley was put on report on 10 minutes for a tackle on Brett Delaney.

The home side missed two penalties at goal, Sinfield hitting the uprights twice in the space of a couple of minutes.

But it was Wigan who opened the scoring on 23 minutes, Peacock penalised for a high tackle on Sam Tomkins, Richards with an easy two points from in front of the posts, 0-2.

The Warriors doubled their lead on the half an hour mark, Richards again with a penalty, 0-4.

On 33 minutes, McGuire was penalised for interference at the play the ball 20 metres out on Sam Tomkins, Richards made it three from three, 0-6.

Leeds got themselves their first points on 35, Sinfield with a penalty, 2-6. Four minutes later Sinfield added a further two points, Coley penalised for pushing a Leeds player after a play the ball. Half time Wigan held a slender two point lead and no tries.

Pat Richards missed a penalty on 42 minutes from distance, Senior kicking out in the tackle injuring Joel Tomkins.

Wigan were reduced to 12 men on 48 minutes, Liam Farrell sin-binned for a challenge on Danny McGuire as he kicked on the final tackle. From the penalty down field Sinfield hit the two points, 6 all.

The Leeds Captain Kevin Sinfield missed a penalty from 40 metres out on 51 minutes.

The penalties continued on 57, Richards kick made it 6-8.

Leeds almost broke away on 64 minutes, Hall intercepting a Sam Tomkins pass but it was deep inside Rhinos territoryand the winger only made it to half way. Sinfield levelled the scores at 8 all on 66 minutes with a further penalty.

Brett Delaney was penalised for Leeds just outside his own 20 metres on 68 minutes and Richards hit the goal, 8-10 to put Wigan back in front in this nip and tuck encounter.

Leeds spurned a great chance with four minutes left, Delaney passing the ball into touch with Donald in support.

With just two minutes left though it was Leeds who scored a killer try, Roberts with a knock on, Leeds with the head and feed from the scrum and Lee Smith jinking his way over for the four points. Sinfield goal hit the posts, 12-10 but there was no way back for the Warriors.

A magnificent effort by Wigan in awful conditions, real heartbreak, but it was Leeds who sneaked through to the last four of the competition.

Recent News & Media

Pre-season today
Christmas giveaway: Day 5
2020 season checklist
Community Foundation job vacancies