It comes after the Warriors Community Foundation (WWCF) last week launched their innovative new recycling scheme in partnership with Bag It Up Ltd, which will raise crucial funds for the charity and help save the environment.
Tomkins was joined by Marketing Director Simon Collinson, Foundation Manager Mike Watson and Bag it Up’s Alison Jones at the new recycling bank at the Miners Lamp pub on Orrell Road in Pemberton, where they posted their used goods in the big red Warriors textile bank.
Fans can also donate their old textiles, clothes and shoes through a number of red textile banks in and around Wigan. These donated items are then sorted and the good quality garments are repacked and resold worldwide, whilst items that cannot be resold are recycled into industrial wipers and cloths, insulation and new fibres. All garments are recycled in one way or another.
"Having grown up in Wigan and worked on the community programme for two years I am more than aware of the good work that the Wigan Warriors Community Foundation do for the town. Now that they are a registered charity it gives everyone the opportunity to help them raise the funds they need to continue and improve their fantastic rugby league, education, health and social inclusion projects that take place across the borough.
"If any fans have a bit of a clear out the Foundation would be really grateful if they could donate their unwanted items in the textile banks which are located throughout Wigan and in the surrounding areas."
Currently, twelve banks are located across Wigan, with another 14 scheduled to be positioned over the next 12 months. These current sites are:
- The Shamrock Public House, Preston Road, Standish, Wigan, WN6 0HY
- The Unicorn at Billinge Restaurant, 190 Upholland Road, Billinge, Wigan, WN5 7DJ
- The Crown Hotel, 106 Wigan Road, Aspull, Wigan, WN2 1DP
- Wigan Worsley Mesnes Primary School, Clifton Street, Poolstock, Wigan, WN3 5HN
- Golborne Parkside Sports & Community Club, Rivington Avenue, Golborne, WA3 3HG
- The Miners Lamp PH, 43 Orrell Road, Orrell, WN5 8EY
- The Co-operative Food, 257 Orrell Road, Wigan, WN5 8NB
- The Co-operative Food, 40 Church Street, Orrell, WN5 8TG
- The Co-operative Food, 58-60 Marsh Green, Wigan, WN5 0PU
- The Co-operative Food, 59 Carr Lane, Hawkley Hall, Wigan, WN3 5NL
- The Co-operative Food, 73 Holmes House Avenue, Winstanley, Wigan, WN3 6JA
- St. Partricks Rugby League, Darlington Street East, Wigan, WN1 3BN