engage Super League Round Up

Leeds Rhinos 42
Tries: Hall 2, Jones-Buchanan, McGuire, Webb, Gibson, Ablett, Diskin
Goals: Sinfield 4, Burrow

Catalans Dragons 14
Tries: Bell, Bosc, Duport
Goal: Bosc

Att: 13,425

Leeds Rhinos ran in eight tries as they brushed aside Catalans Dragons at Headingley Carnegie Stadium to stay top of the engage Super League.

The Dragons stated the better and took an early lead on three minutes with a try from ex Sea Eagle Steven Bell. Leeds hit back with tries from Jamie Jones-Buchan and Ryan Hall. In a devastating spell just before the break, the Rhinos ran in three unanswered tries from Danny McGuire, Hall and Brett Webb to lead 26-4.

Catalans again had a good opening to the second-half Vincent Duport was held up over the line, but the French-side’s defensive frailties were found out as Ashley Gibson scored an easy try to increase the hosts lead. Thomas Bosc pulled one back for the Dragons but a banana kick from Kevin Sinfield set up another Leeds score for Ablett.

Duport scored a consolation for the visitors before Matt Diskin scored the last try of the game just before the end as he forced his way over from dummy half.

Wakefield Wildcats 18
Tries: Snitch, Murphy, Atkins
Goals: Brough 3

St Helens 42
Tries: Graham, Wheeler, Gidley, Pryce 3, Puletua, Gardner
Goals: Wheeler 3, Gidley 2

Att: 6,038

St Helens eased to victory over Wakefield Wildcats at a sombre Belle Vue.

This was the first game that the Wildcats had played since the tragic death of academy player Leon Walker.

Steve Snitch got the hosts off to a perfect start with try after eighty seconds. Saints hit back to take the lead with two quick-fire tries from James Graham and youngster Gary Wheeler. Aaron Murphy got Wakefield on, before Matt Gidley and Leon Pryce added other tries as St Helens took a 22-12 lead at half time.

Saints dominated the second-half. Pryce helped himself to a hat-trick with ex Panther Tony Puletua and Ade Gardiner also getting on the score-sheet. Ryan Atkins scored a consolation for the Wildcats as St Helens kept on the tails of the Leeds Rhinos.

Wigan Warriors 8
Tries: Bailey, Roberts

Huddersfield Giants 22
Tries: Moore, Lawrence, Brown
Goals: B. Hodgson 5

Att: 11,670

Huddersfield Giants got the win over Wigan Warriors in a scrappy and bad tempered game at the JJB Stadium.

Brett Hodgson scored an early penalty as the Giants took the lead. Phil Bailey put Wigan into the lead on 19-minutes as he went over in the corner. Scott Moore burrowed his way over as Huddersfield led 10- 4 at the break.

The second half was a fiery affair with three-men put in the sin-bin. Luke Robinson was first to go for the Giants as he slowed down a Wigan 20-meter restart. Harrison Hansen and Darrell Griffin also spent time in the cooler for fighting. Amos Roberts closed the gap to just two points as he scooted over on the right hand side.

However, the Giants won the game in the last five minutes by scoring two tries from Michael Lawrence and ex Wiganer Kevin Brown. This was Huddersfield ‘ eighth away win in a row as they moved up to third in the table.

Harlequins RL 22
Tries: Clubb, Golden, Howell
Goals: Orr 5

Hull FC 12
Tries: Yeaman, Hall
Goals: Tickle 2

Att: 3,593

Harlequins got back to winning ways with a hard-fought victory over Hull FC at the Twickenham Stoop.

Played in wet conditions, Danny Tickle’s penalty edged the visitors in front. Tony Clubb powered his way over to give Quins the lead but Kirk Yeaman responded for the Black and Whites as the teams went into the break at 6-6.

The second half was much livelier and Jason Golden went over from close range to regain the lead for the hosts. Craig Hall crossed for Hull to once again level the game up, however Quins won the match with a try from David Howell and three kicks from Danny Orr.

This was Hull’s second successive defeat of the season and for Quins it was a good turn around after last week’s thrashing at Huddersfield.

Hull KR 48
Tries: Murrell, Fox 3, Dobson 3, Welham 2
Goals: Dobson 6

Salford City Reds 12
Tries: Adamson, White
Goals: Wilshere 2

Att: 8,104

Hull KR made light work of the Salford City Reds as they romped to victory at Craven Park.

Struggling Salford got a dream start after just one minute with a try from Paul White. Scott Murell forced his way over for the hosts after ten minutes but the Reds extended their lead minutes later with a Luke Adamson score. Peter Fox scored a double, for the Robins, as the teams went in to the break at 12-12.

The second half was one-way traffic as Rovers dominated and won the game at a canter. Fox and Mick Dobson both scored hat-tricks with Kris Welham adding a double as the floodgates opened.

This defeat for Salford kept them second bottom of table with one win in seven starts.

Warrington Wolves 27
Tries: Briers, Grix, King, Mitchell, Hicks
Goals: Hicks 3
Drop: Briers

Celtic Crusaders 22
Tries: Hannay, Blackwood, Withers, Dyer
Goals: Hannay 3

Att: 7,854

Warrington Wolves came from behind to edge past Celtic Crusaders at the HJ Stadium.

Warrington scored early on with a try from centre Simon Grix. The Crusaders hit back with two quick-fire tries in a four-minute spell from Anthony Blackwood and Lincoln Withers to lead 12-6, but Lee Briers pounced as the hosts got on terms. Just before the break, Josh Hannay went over and converted his try to give the Welsh-side an 18-12 half-time lead.

The game continued to fluctuate in the second half as both teams traded scores. Matt King scored for the Wolves after a bout of pressure. Luke Dyer then responded for the Crusaders and on the hour, Lee Mitchell levelled the game up at 22-22 when he touched down for the home-side.

On 72 minutes, the game turned as Celtic were reduced to 12-men with the sin-binning of Ryan O’Hara for holding down in the tackle. Briers added a 77-minutes drop goal and the game was won for Warrington with a late Chris Hicks try as the Crusaders remained rooted to the bottom of the table with no wins from their seven games.

Castleford Tigers 28
Tries: Shenton 2, Dixon 2, Chase
Goals: Dixon 4

Bradford Bulls 26
Tries: Platt, Tadulala, Lynch, Morrison, Halley
Goals: Deacon 2, Sykes

Att: 9,185

Castleford Tigers came from behind to snatch a late win over Bradford Bulls at a packed Jungle.

Bradford took the lead with a try from fullback Michael Platt. Michael Shenton jinked his way over as the Tigers got on terms. The Bulls regained the lead with a Semi Tadulala score and increased it further went ex Tigers Prop Andy Lynch powered his way over. Castleford cut the Bulls lead to 16-10 at the break with a try from Kirk Dixon.

Seconds after the re-start the visitors went further ahead after good work from Jamie Langley set up Glen Morrison. Dave Halley added another as the Bulls took control and led 26-10 after 67-minutes.

However, the Tigers produced a stunning comeback and snatched the win. Dixon scored his second and Shenton added another as the lead was cut to 6-22. Ex Dragons stand-off, Rangi Chase completed the comeback with the wining try two minutes from time. Dixon converted as the Tigers continued their good start to the 2009 season.

Recent News & Media

Liam Farrell Testimonial Preview
In focus: Liam Farrell
10 years of Liam Farrell
Farrell testimonial ticket info