engage Super League Round 9 Round Up

Bradford Bulls 50 Castleford Tigers 4

Semi Tadulala collected a hat-trick of tries as Bradford proved that struggling Castleford will need more than Dwain Chambers to avoid the wooden spoon.

Steve McNamara's side ran in nine tries during a one-sided 50-4 romp to claim their fourth win in five games which lifts them up into fifth place.

Bradford led 22-4 at the half-time interval after claiming three tries in 12 minutes midway through the first half and the Tigers never recovered.

Hull KR 24 Huddersfield Giants 24

Hull KR moved up to seventh place in the table after a 24-24 draw with Huddersfield Giants at Craven Park.

Australian utility back Daniel Fitzhenry scored two tries for Rovers, with the Giants touchdowns coming from George Gatis, Chris Thorman, Paul Whatuira and Rod Jensen.

Jon Sharp's side move a point above Wakefield into ninth place.

Warrington Wolves 6 Harlequins 8

Henry Paul rolled back the years with a vintage performance to steer Harlequins to a surprise 8-6 victory at high-flying Warrington, who were booed off the pitch after a lacklustre effort.

Quins were lacking six first-choice players through injury but Paul combined with Frenchman Julien Rinaldi to form a highly effective half-back partnership and, alongside loose forward Rob Purdham, energised their inexperienced team-mates.

It was tough and tense as Harlequins ended their three-match losing run with victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium for the second successive season despite the valiant efforts of Wolves skipper Adrian Morley.

Former Salford prop Gareth Haggerty scored his first try for the Londoners to give them the advantage at the halfway stage and they defended heroically in the second half to deservedly take the spoils.

Catalans Dragons 28 Hull FC 28

Hull staged a late comeback to halt Catalans Dragons' charge up table with a Gareth Raynor try and a goal-line conversion from Danny Tickle seeing the teams share a 28-28 draw in the south of France.

The game looked to have been lost for Peter Sharp's side until a moment of magic from Tommy Lee opened the door for Raynor to score what proved to be the decisive try in a totally enthralling encounter at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Richard Horne, starting his first game of the season, put in a high kick which Raynor patted down into the hands of Tickle who scored.

Both sides then proceeded to exchange scores with Thomas Bosc, Scott Wheeldon and then Vincent Duport getting in on the act as neither team showed the conviction to pull away from the other.

A mix-up on their own goal line let in Gregory Mounis with half-time approaching and not content with taking a two-point lead into half-time, Dimitri Pelo went over just three minutes later to give the Dragons a comfortable lead their dominance had deserved.

Sharp must have had stern words with his side because they came out a different team in the second period with Danny Washbrook's try getting them back in the match.

But two needless penalties in front of the posts allowed Catalans to stretch their lead and seemingly win the match.

However, high drama was to follow and with just three minutes left on the clock a great pass out wide from scrum-half Lee found Great Britain winger Raynor who touched down.

Then with the hooter blown and the scores level Todd Byrne's kick was pounced on by Craig Hall who thought he had scored a match-winning try only for referee Steve Ganson to rule it out.

St Helens 10 Leeds Rhinos 14

Champions Leeds consolidated top spot in the engage Super League with a precious 14-10 victory over St Helens in an energy-sapping Grand Final re-match at a rainswept Knowsley Road.

Saints are now six points behind their arch rivals after going down to a third defeat in their last four matches but they pushed the leaders all the way in a gruelling contest.

Luke Burgess scored the decisive try on the hour mark, powering over from close range.

Kevin Sinfield converted, as he did Ali Lauitiiti's opening touchdown in the first period.

St Helens battled well and led early in the second-half thanks to a Paul Wellens try but Burgess ensured this was again Leeds' day.

Wigan Warriors 8 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 4

A captain's try late in the first half from Great Britain star Sean O'Loughlin and some determined defending after the break gave Wigan a slender 8-4 victory over Wakefield on a horrible night at the JJB Stadium.

The visitors had led through two penalty goals from centre Tony Martin before O'Loughlin took a short ball from Mickey Higham to drive his way over through the massed defence on the Wakefield line.

A Pat Richards conversion and a penalty goal early in the second period completed the scoring on a night where the conditions came out firmly on top, although both sides were not short on effort in front of a crowd of 12,933.

Recent News & Media

A very good day: Farrell
Faz is a legend: Marshall
Taking positives: Lam
Rhinos overcome Warriors