Warriors Defeat the Wildcats

Wigan Warriors 8
Try: O'Loughlin
Goals: Richards (2)

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 4
Goals: Martin (2)

At a windswept and rain soaked JJB Stadium, Wigan Warriors grinded out a win against the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats by 8-4 and made it four Super League points from two home games in five days.

Handling was difficult in the conditions and the pitch heavy which meant we were never going to witness an open expansive exchange. Wigan looked fairly solid in defence with the Wildcats asking some questions particularly in the second half. The game was also littered with penalties, mainly for minor technical offences which also led to a stop start encounter.

Wigan were forced into one change from the side that defeated Hull KR on Monday with Richard Mathers returning after suspension to replace the injured Trent Barrett, Mathers slotting in at stand off.

Wakefield came into the game without a number of established players in Drew, Reilly and Brough but welcomed back centre Ryan Atkins.

The Warriors had all the possession in the opening fifteen minutes, Bailey held on his back over the line, Mathers with a couple of grubber kicks and Wigan forcing a Wildcats drop out following a Leuluai kick.

The deadlock was broken at the other end on 25 minutes through a Tony Martin penalty, 0-2. Soon after the Wildcats almost broke away for the games first try. Demetriou with the break, Rooney with a kick, Martin in pursuit, Mark Calderwood getting back to kick clear.

On 28 minutes, Martin added another penalty, Wigan offside, 0-4.

Wigan got the games first try on 33 minutes, the Wildcats penalised in front of their own posts. Higham took a quick tap and Sean O’Loughlin twisted away from the tackles to touch down. Richards added the goal, 6-4.

As the half time hooter sounded the cherry and whites were awarded a penalty and from the half way line in awful conditions Richards effort failed to just have enough height, the interval score line remained, 6-4.

Wakefield had Jason Golden sin binned in the opening two minutes of the second half but Wigan were unable to take any advantage.

Pat Richards added an easy penalty on 52 minutes to extend the lead to 8-4.

Wigan were forced into some defending on 74 minutes as Golden looked certain to score but some last gasp defending saw Pat Richards turn the Wildcats player onto his back on the final tackle.

In the last few moments Higham was sin binned for a flop but Wakefield were at the wrong end of the field to threaten and Wigan held on for the win.

Wigan Warriors: Richards, Calderwood, Goulding, Carmont, Colbon, Mathers, Leuluai, Fielden, McIlorum, Coley, Bailey, Hansen,O'Loughlin.
Subs: Higham, Paleaaesina, J Tomkins, O'Carroll

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: Blaymire, Gleeson, Demetriou, Atkins, Martin, Grix, Rooney, Watene, Henderson, Sculthorpe, Moore, MacGillivray,Ferguson
Subs: Bibey, Wilkes, Golden, Ferguson, Pitts

Referee: Ian Smith

Attendance: 12,933

Recent News & Media

A very good day: Farrell
Faz is a legend: Marshall
Taking positives: Lam
Rhinos overcome Warriors