Warriors Claim a Hull of a Victory

Full Time From The KC Stadium

engage Super League Elimination Semi-Final

Hull FC 18
Tries: Raynor (2), R Horne
Goals: Tickle (3)

Wigan Warriors 21
Tries: Richards, Hock, Colbon
Goals: Richards (4)
DG: Richards

Match Report

Wigan Warriors progress through to the Final Eliminator against Leeds Rhinos at Headingley-Carnegie on Friday after a hard fought 18-21 win at the KC Stadium against Hull on Saturday night.

The Warriors are now seven games unbeaten and it was some rough tough defence that played a huge part in the Wigan win.

A following of over 3,000 Warriors fans cheered their heroes home and with Hull throwing everything in the final seconds the Warriors held on for another great victory.

It took the Warriors just two minutes to take the lead. Hull lost possession inside their own half through Raynor. Barrett put in a diagonal kick which was dropped by Whiting, Richards was on hand to touchdown. The full back added the extras, great start, 0-6.

A Danny Tickle penalty for the home side on 15 minutes made it 2-6.

On 19 minutes, Hull made a break down the right, Horne, Whiting and then Sing who was held just short. Mark Calderwood held Sing down in the tackle and as the home side looked for a quick play the ball, the Warriors winger was sent to the sin bin for ten minutes.

On 23, Carvell was penalised for holding down in the tackle and Richards added an easy penalty from under the posts, 2-8.

With Calderwood still off, Head put a grubber kick into the corner on 30 minutes and Raynor was the quickest to react, Leuluai had the chance to clear as the ball failed to go dead. Tickle added the conversion from out wide, 8-8.

Within two minutes the Airlie Birds were in again, Richard Horne sneaking over for the four points despite being surrounded by three defenders. Tickle’s goal made it 14-8.

Pat Richards struck a penalty for Hull holding down with three minutes of the half left, 14-10.

Wigan drew level eight minutes into the second half, Hock with the try from a Leuluai pass close to the Hull line. This time Pat Richards missed the extras.

Within a couple of minutes, Wigan had gained the lead, Barrett with a defence splitting pass to send Colbon in at the corner. This time Richard hit the goal, 14-20.

On 59 minutes, Millard was put on report for an alleged high tackle on Head.

Hull pressed with a spell of the ball close to the Warriors line but the defence held firm.

As the Warriors got down the other end not surprisingly Pat Richards took the chance to add a point through a drop goal with 72 minutes on the clock, 14-21.

Hull were not yet done with four minutes left as Raynor dived over in the corner for his second of the evening. The conversion was missed.

The home side through eveything at Brian Noble's men but Wigan held on.

Every week has been like a Cup Final for Wigan and the cherry and whites are now just 80 minutes from a Grand Final spot.

Team News

Hull FC: Tony, Sing, Whiting, Yeaman, Raynor, Washbrook, R Horne, Dowes, Lee, Carvell, Radford, Manu, Tickle
Replacements: Head, Godwin, G Horne, Wheeldon

Wigan Warriors: Richards, Calderwood, Bailey, Vaealiki, Colbon, Barrett, Leuluai, Fielden, Millard, Paleaaesina, Hansen, Fletcher, O'Loughlin.
Replacements: Higham, Hock, Prescott, Goulding

Referee - Steve Ganson

Attendance - 16,291

Recent News & Media

Leigh Centurions Preview
Hardaker joins commentary team
23-man squad vs Leigh
February player camps