engage Super League XII Round 2 Round Up

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 29 St Helens 22

Jamie Rooney provided the inspiration as Wakefield Trinity Wildcats inflicted a second successive defeat on St Helens ahead of Friday’s World Club Challenge against Brisbane Broncos.

The stand-off produced a stellar display which included a try and a drop-goal to complete an astonishing comeback from John Kear’s men.

Trinity trailed 18-6 at the break but went on to run in four second-half tries with a blistering performance which left Saints stunned.

Trinity deserved their victory for their second-half masterclass but St Helens will feel they should have offered some stiffer resistance.

Huddersfield Giants 10 Hull KR 17

engage Super League new boys Hull Kingston Rovers made it two wins out of two with a gritty performance against Huddersfield Giants, who remain winless after three matches.

Picking up from where they left off in their dramatic opening-round win over Wakefield, Rovers raced into a 16-0 lead and, urged on by 2,000 vociferous fans among the 7,700 crowd, held off a spirited fightback from the Giants.

Their victory was based on a workmanlike display from their pack - in which former Australia prop Michael Vella was especially outstanding - and the kicking game of industrious captain James Webster.

Warrington Wolves 20 Bradford Bulls 36

New boy Michael Platt grabbed an impressive hat-trick of tries as Bradford Bulls staged a magnificent recovery against Warrington Wolves to make it two opening wins in the engage Super League this season.

Full-back Platt, snapped up from Castleford Tigers, took the honours as the Bulls fought back from 14-6 down just before the interval.

But it was far from a one-man show as the Bulls dug deep to stun the Wolves.

Catalans Dragons 16 Wigan Warriors 18

On Saturday, Pat Richards kicked a dramatic 80th-minute goal to snatch an 18-16 victory for Wigan Warriors against Catalans Dragons in rain-lashed Perpignan.

The Warriors trailed throughout the match until Australian stand-off Trent Barrett sent captain Sean O’Loughlin crashing over for a try to tie the scores in the 78th minute.

Richards stepped up to strike the vital conversion to give Brian Noble’s side their first points in engage Super League.

Harlequins RL 18 Salford City Reds 18

Salford City Reds’ David Hodgson missed a last-gasp conversion as Harlequins RL’s unbeaten start to the new season continued with an 18-18 draw at the Stoop.

Quins conceded two tries in the final 10 minutes as winless Salford staged an unlikely comeback in the dying minutes but were unable to seal all the points as Hodgson fluffed his late effort at goal.

Tipped by many to struggle this season, Quins failed to build on the shock win at defending champions St Helens as they waved the white flag, conceding two late tries as they surrendered the points.

Leeds Rhinos 18 Hull FC 4

On Friday night Leeds Rhinos mastered the mud to make it two wins out of two in the engage Super League and leave last year’s beaten Grand Finalists Hull FC still waiting for their first success.

England international Lee Smith scored the only try of the first half as Leeds ground out a 6-0 interval lead and they defied atrocious conditions at Headingley to score twice more after the break.

Kevin Sinfield, who had converted Smith’s first-half score from the touchline, repeated the dose after himself crossing for the second try - his first in the engage Super League for 12 months.

Matt Sing’s try gave Hull a glimmer of hope, but Leeds prop Ryan Bailey added a third try, also converted by Sinfield, to round off an ultimately comfortable win for the hosts

Recent News & Media

Happy to be back: Powell
20 years as Club mascot: Neil Flavell
Holts injury update
Fan Zone Hull FC