Round Eight Round Up

With the Tuesday night fixture still to come, the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats produced the result of the round by showing the rest of Super League that the Leeds Rhinos are not unbeatable, the Wildcats stunned engage Super League leaders Leeds with a 44-28 success at Headingley on Monday night.

Jason Demetriou and David March scored a brace of tries for Wakefield , who led 22-6 at the break and went on to double their tally in the second half to send the traveling fans wild.

Australia Test centre Michael de Vere was an instant success on his Super League debut at the Galpharm Stadium as the Huddersfield Giants cruised to their second win in four days, beating the Salford City Reds 26-12.

The 28-year-old former Brisbane Broncos ace ended his eight-month lay-off with a knee injury in impressive fashion, creating the first of Huddersfield's four tries and kicking five goals from five attempts, including one from the touchline.

Salford were never seriously in contention, despite the valiant efforts of skipper Malcolm Alker and strong-running prop Andy Coley, as they struggled to unlock a workmanlike home defence.

St. Helens bounced back from their Good Friday defeat to wigan by securing a thrilling 34-27 victory over the Bradford Bulls largely thanks to a Paul Wellens hat-trick.

The Bulls came back from 22-12 down to edge in front by 24-22 after 56 minutes only to concede a last-minute score to Wellens.

The Wigan Warriors overcame the absence of nine first team player (seven first-team regulars) and a 14-0 half-time deficit, to claim a 21-15 victory over Hull FC at the KC Stadium.

First-half tries from Chris Chester and Stephen Kearney were made to count for nothing as the Warriors opened their account with a length-of-the-field breakaway by Liam Colbon which marked the turning point in the game.

That score lifted Denis Betts' side and they sealed victory with Harrison Hansen crossing and a Brett Dallas try six minutes from time.

The Leigh Centurions finally managed to notch up their first Super League victory by, perhaps surprisingly, beating the London Broncos 24-22 to claim their first Super League victory since promotion to the top flight.

The Centurions were trailing 16-8 at half-time but Rob Jackson scored what proved to be the crucial try eight minutes from time. Neil Turley added the touchline conversion to seal the win.

Recent News & Media

2019 Community Blitz: in pictures
Youth shining through: Isa
Christmas Giveaway: Day 2
Community reacts to 2019 Blitz