Saints halt Warriors

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors lose 32-10 to St Helens in the derby at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

  • Zak Hardaker was the only scorer for Adrian Lam’s side in the defeat.

  • The Warriors’ run of five unbeaten games comes to an end.

Wigan Warriors suffered a 32-10 defeat in the derby against St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday night.

The loss sees a five-game unbeaten run come to an end for Adrian Lam’s side, who could only score one try through Zak Hardaker.

The game got off to a fast start, as Wigan looked to apply early pressure onto the home side, dragging Theo Fages into touch to gain good ground.

On the eighth minute, Saints gave away a penalty, which Zak Hardaker successfully converted to put the Warriors ahead 2-0.

Justin Holbrook’s side soon levelled things through a penalty of their own, as Lachlan Coote successfully kicked to make it 2-2.

The home side took confidence from that and enjoyed a period of dominance, threatening the Wigan try line with multiple attacks.

Eventually the Saints pressure paid off, as space opened up down the right side for Tommy Makinson to dive over and put his side 6-2 in front after 15 minutes.

After an error from St Helens, Hardaker was able to narrow the deficit, successfully kicking his second penalty of the evening in front of the sticks.

The home side continued to look dangerous, creating chances but were unable to finish.

Five minutes before the end of the first half, Saints got their second try, as space opened up for Makinson on the wing again. After missing the first conversion, Coote successful converted the second to make it 12-4 at the break.

Four minutes into the second half, Saints extended their lead as Fages neatly kicked the ball through for Coote to ground. The full-back then converted his own try, to give his side an 18-4 lead.

Another try soon followed for St Helens, as Kevin Naiqama found a gap in the Warriors defence to go over in the 51st-minute. Coote successfully kicked the conversion, before adding a further two from a penalty to make it 26-4.

A tough second half for the Warriors continued as St Helens went over for their fifth touch down of the game.

This time it was Jonny Lomax who added his name onto the scoresheet, going over in the 57th-minute to extend his side’s lead to 32-4.

In the 63rd-minute, Wigan went over for their first try of the evening, as Hardaker charged down a Saints kick before dribbling the ball to the try line to go over.

Lam’s side came close to pulling another back, but Liam Farrell dropped the ball before he could ground it.

St Helens nearly rounded off the game with a sixth try, but were unable to finish off the move as the game ended 32-10.

The defeat sees top of the table Saints take the bragging rights, whilst Wigan’s good run of form comes to an end.

St Helens: Lachlan Coote, Tommy Makinson, Kevin Naiqama, Mark Percival, Regan Grace, Jonny Lomax, Theo Fages, Alex Walmsley, James Bentley, Luke Thompson, Morgan Knowles, Dom Peyroux, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook.

Interchanges: Kyle Amor, Matty Lees, Jack Ashworth, Aaron Smith.

Tries: Makinson (15’), Makinson (35’), Coote (44’) Naiqama (51’), Lomax (57’)

Conversions: Coote (4/5)

Penalties: Coote (2/2)

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Thomas Leuluai, Romain Navarrete, Sam Powell, Oliver Partington, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchanges:Joe Bullock, Liam Byrne, Chris Hankinson, Jake Shorrocks.

Tries: Hardaker (63’)

Conversion: Hardaker (1/1)

Penalties: Hardaker (2/2)

Referee: B. Thaler Touch Judges: J. Roberts, C.Sharrad

Attendance: 17,088

Match photos from St Helens vs Wigan Warriors

10 of the Best

Match photos from St Helens vs Wigan Warriors