Warriors pip Robins

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull KR 19-18 at KCOM Craven Park.

  • A late Sam Powell drop goal from over 40 metres out gave Adrian Lam’s side the victory.

  • Tries from Williams, Sarginson, Burgess and Marshall help the Warriors get an away win.

Wigan Warriors win 19-18 against Hull KR at KCOM Craven Park after a late long ranged drop goal from Sam Powell.

With the sides level heading into the final moments of the game, the late drop goal stopped the game from heading to golden point.

Despite leading at half time, two Hull tries after the break meant the Warriors had to fight back from behind to claim victory.

After making a bright start to the game, it was the Warriors who opened the scoring in the 11th minute after as Burgess and Gildart finding space down the left, and George Williams finishing off the move.

Zak Hardaker successfully converted the kick to put Adrian Lam’s side up 6-0.

Hull KR soon responded, as Jimmy Kienhorst ran 80 metres down the field after intercepting a Liam Farrell pass to claim the first try of the day for the home team.

A successful conversion from Ryan Shaw levelled the scores 6-6 after 19 minutes.

The Robins then came close to taking the lead in the 33rd minute, but the ball just went out of play before it could be grounded.

Five minutes before the break, the Warriors retook the lead. This time the space opened up down the right for Dan Sarginson to dive through for the try to make it 10-6, following a missed George Williams conversion.

With a minute to go of the half, Joe Burgess added Wigan’s third of the afternoon in the corner to see Adrian Lam’s side head into the break leading 14-6.

Only three minutes into the second half, Hull pulled one back as Will Dagger found a gap in the Wigan defence to run through to go over.

Shaw successfully converted the kick, to narrow Wigan’s lead to 14-12.

Hull then took the lead, as Ryan Lannon stretched to ground the ball after a spell of pressure, to make the score 18-14 after 54 minutes.

Kane Linnett was then forced off the field on a stretcher in the 58th minute, following a collision with Sarginson.

Once play had resumed it was Wigan who were the next team to score, as Liam Marshall scored an excellent diving try in the corner to level the scores after 65 minutes.

Hull thought they had retaken the lead, but a try was disallowed after a knock on in the build-up.

Lam’s side then thought they had scored the late try in the 76th minute, but a Sarginson pass to Marshall was adjudged to have been forward.

Wigan then clinched a late win with two minutes on the clock, as Sam Powell kicked a drop goal from over 40 metres out to take home the victory.

That late dramatic kick gave the Warriors a narrow 19-18 win.

Hull KR: Craig Hall, Benjamin Crooks, Jimmy Keinhorst, Kane Linnet, Ryan Shaw, Joshua Drinkwater, William Dagger, Owen Harrison, Daniel Addy, Mose Masoe, Joel Tomkins, Weller Hauraki, George Lawler.

Interchanges:Christopher Atkin, Antoni Maria, Ryan Lannon, Robert Mulhern.

Tries: Kienhorst (19’), Dagger (43’), Lannon (54’)

Conversions: Shaw (3/3)

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Thomas Leuluai, Ben Flower, Sam Powell, Tony Clubb, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Sean O’Loughlin.

Interchanges: Joe Bullock, Jake Shorrocks, Morgan Smithies, Taulima Tautai.

Tries: Williams (11’), Sarginson (35’), Burgess (39’), Marshall (65’)

Conversions: Hardaker (1/1), Williams (0/3)

Drop goal: Powell (78’)

Referee:S. Mikalauskas Touch Judges: A. Martin J. Roberts

Attendance: 8,010