Catalans win in Barca

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors lose to Catalans Dragons at the Nou Camp.

  • FT Catalans Dragons 33-16 Wigan Warriors

  • Tries from Liam Marshall, Oliver Gildart and Zak Hardaker not enough to beat the Dragons in Barcelona

Wigan Warriors slumped to a 33-16 defeat at the hands of Catalans Dragons in front of over 31,000 fans at Barcelona’s Nou Camp in the Betfred Super League..

The extraordinary atmosphere was almost too much to live up to, with both sides making errors in the opening 5 minutes.

It was the Dragons who scored the first Rugby League points ever at the Nou Camp in the 6th minute through Tony Gigot, kicking two points in front of the posts, conceded by Sam Powell.

The home side grabbed the first try of the game in the 21st minute from Ex-Wiganer Micky McIlorum, taking the ball from dummy half from 5 metres out to touch down. Gigot added the extras.

Wigan grabbed their first in sensational fashion through Liam Marshall in the 36th minute. A move down the right edge saw Sarginson send Marshall through with 40 mteres to make up. The winger sped away from the Dragons defence to score for the Cherry & Whites. Hardaker added the two extras.

The sides took to the field in the second half with the scores at 8-8, and it was Catalans who posted the first points of the half. Langi stripped the ball from Wigan skipper Sean O’Loughlin and then found David Mead, who touched down. Gigot converted to take the scores to 14-6 after 46th minute.

Wigan fell further behind in the 49th minute through a Tony Gigot penalty kick from 20 metres out.

The Dragons piled on the pressure further in the 52nd as a move down their right edge found Langi, who went from provider to scorer, crossing the whitewash to make the scores 20-6. Gigot missed the conversion.

Catalans continued to stack up the scores through Sam Kasiano, who powered over the Warriors line and under the posts in the 56th minute. Gigot added the extras.

Gigot grabbed another point with the boot in the 61st minute, successfully knocking over a drop goal from 15 metres.

A mishandling of the ball on the halfway line from Chris Hankinson in the 68th gifted David Mead a second try. The centre ran home and scored under the sticks. Gigot added the extras.

Zak Hardaker grabbed another for Wigan in the dying seconds of the game, chipping over the defence and running on to his own kick to score under the posts. He then converted to bring the final score to 33-16.

Catalans Dragons: Tony Gigot, Fouad Yaha, David Mead, Brayden Wiliame, Lewis Tierney, Samisoni Langi, Greg Bird, Julian Bousquet, Micky McIlorum, Sam Moa, Kenny Edwards, Matt Whitely, Remí Casty.

Wigan grabbed their first points of the second half in the 74th minute through Oliver Gilart. An excellent move down the left edge found the centre, who scored in the corner comfortably. Zak Hardaker failed to add the extras, leaving the scores 33-10.

Interchanges: Benjamin Garcia, Mickael Simon, Jason Baitieri, Sam Kasiano.

Tries: McIlorum (21’), Mead (46’, 68’), Langi (52’), Kasiano (56’)

Conversions: Gigot (4/5)

Penalties: Gigot (6’), (49’)

Drop Goals Gigot (61’)

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Tommy Leuluai, Ben Flower, Sam Powell, Romain Navarrete, Willie Isa, Joe Greenwood, Tony Clubb

Interchanges: Sean O’Loughlin, Taulima Tautai, Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson

Tries: Marshall (36’), Gildart (74’), Hardaker (80’)

Conversions: Hardaker (2/3)


Referee: Ben Thaler

Touch Judges: Marcus Griffiths & Mark Craven

Video Ref: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 31,555