Hull KR 10 Wigan 28

  • Match report as Wigan beat Hull KR 28-10 to progress to the quarter finals of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup

  • Warriors score 18 points in final quarter to secure win

  • Josh Woods, Liam Marshall, Sam Tomkins, Tony Clubb and Tom Davies with Wigan’s tries


Wigan scored 18 unanswered points in the final quarter of the game to beat Hull KR and progress to the quarter finals of the Labrokes Challenge Cup.

Wigan led 10-4 at half-time but were pegged back by Rovers’ 12 men – Danny Tickle sent off on the stroke of half-time for a punch on John Bateman.

Sam Tomkins put Wigan back in front before late efforts from Tony Clubb and Tom Davies secured the win.


Liam Farrell and Sean O’Loughlin returned to the Wigan side whilst George Williams missed out with a wrist injury meaning Josh Woods came in at stand off.

Rovers were without a number of first choice players including Danny Maguire, Shaun Lunt and Chris Clarkson.


Hull KR made a spirited start but a Sam Tomkins 40:20 put Wigan in great field position and they capitalised when Josh Woods slid through a gap in the Rovers defence to score. Tomkins converted, Wigan 6-0 ahead inside ten minutes.

Tim Sheens’ side were not for lying down and scored their first try of the afternoon 21 minutes in. Opting for the powerplay on the last, Adam Quinlan made a break from 30 metres out and had Chris Atkin in support who went over.

The missed conversion from Ryan Shaw meant Wigan continued to lead and they extended that advantage just four minutes later, Liam Marshall with an acrobatic finish on the left wing.

Rovers’ task was made more difficult in the 29th minute when Quinlan was sent to the sin bin for delaying the restart after his kick had gone dead over the in-goal line.

Quinlan returned just before the break but his side were soon a man down again as Danny Tickle was sent off after punching John Bateman, the latter sent to the sin bin for his part in the melee.

HALF TIME: Hull Kingston Rovers 4-10 Wigan Warriors


The home side started the second half well and dominated territorially. Their pressure finally told in the 51st minute when Junior Vaivai barged over on the left edge.

Shaw missed the chance to level the scores with the boot but a penalty five minutes later saw him take a punt at goal and he made no mistake this time, 10-10 with just over 20 minutes left to play.

Wigan were soon back in front when Sam Tomkins glided over on the right side. Tomkins converted to make it a six point lead.

Just moments later a high shot on Dan Sarginson in good field position allowed Tomkins another shot at goal meaning Wigan led 18-10 with 15 minutes remaining.

The Warriors made sure of the win in the 73rd minute when Tony Clubb barged over for his sixth try of the campaign following a good break down the left involving Marshall and Liam Farrell.

Tom Davies added polish to the win after taking advantage of the extra man down the right side to score Wigan’s fifth and final try.

FULL TIME: Hull Kingston Rovers 10-28 Wigan Warriors


Hull Kingston Rovers - 10

Tries: Atkin, Vaivai

Goals: Shaw 1/3

Wigan Warriors - 28

Tries: Woods, Marshall, S Tomkins, Clubb, T Davies

Goals: S Tomkins 4/6

HT: 4-10

Hull Kingston Rovers: 1. Adam Quinlan, 5. Ryan Shaw, 22. Liam Salter, 2. Taioalo Vaivai, 37. Elliot Wallis, 19. Thomas Lee, 11. Maurice Blair, 21. Robert Mulhern, 24. Chris Atkin, 23. Josh Johnson, 34. Danny Tickle, 12. James Greenwood, 30. Joe Cator

Interchange: 10. Mose Masoe, 15. James Donaldson, 29. Jordan Walne, 20. Matty Marsh

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 3. Dan Sarginson, 4. Oliver Gildart, 22. Liam Marshall, 34. Josh Woods, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 14. John Bateman, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 11. Joel Tomkins, 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 19. Willie Isa

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 3,524