Hull FC 10 Wigan 14

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull FC at the KCOM on Saturday night

  • Warriors become first away team to win at the KCOM in 2018

  • Dan Sarginson and Liam Marshall with Wigan’s tries


Wigan Warriors became the first away side to take two points at the KCOM Stadium in 2018 after picking up their first win in four games.

The Warriors returned to winning ways and thoroughly deserved it! It was Dan Sarginson’s try that saw them first on the scoreboard. Sam Tomkins converted and kicked a penalty goal five minutes later to put Wigan 0-8 in front.

Two tries in either side of half-time then followed for Bureta Faraimo, as Hull took the lead for the first time.

However, Tomkins added another penalty goal to level the scores at 10-10 with 10 minutes to go.

Liam Marshall won the match for the Warriors late on after Tomkins’ drop goal attempt rebounded off the crossbar. Wigan retained possession and Sean O’Loughlin found Marshall who went over in the corner, 10-14 the match finished!


Shaun Wane made two changes to the side that lost at Wakefield last week, as both Liam Marshall and Ben Flower returned. Liam Farrell and Craig Mullen dropped out.

Hull also made two changes as Lee Radford brought in Albert Kelly and captain Danny Houghton. Jez Litten and Joe Westerman missed out.


Wigan went close to opening the scoring 10 minutes into the game as Sam Tomkins, who was making his 200th appearance for Wigan, opened up space down the right side. The full back found Dan Sarginson who set up Tom Davies. The winger raced towards the corner but referee Robert Hicks deemed he knocked on when attempting to touch down over the whitewash.

After an even opening 25 minutes, it was Wigan who got the first points on the board as Sarginson scored the try. The attack started in the Wigan half as George Williams broke through the Hull line to find Liam Marshall who ran 60 metres before being tackled by Jamie Shaul. However, the ball then came to Williams and the half back put a cross field kick over to the right side which found Sarginson and the centre picked the ball up to go over. Sam Tomkins converted the kick; Wigan went ahead 0-6.

Tomkins extended his side’s lead to 0-8, as he kicked a penalty goal 15 metres out after Hull failed to clear the play the ball.

The Black and Whites pulled themselves back into it with a try three minutes before half time, as Bureta Faraimo bulldozed his way over. Albert Kelly found the winger with a short pass and Faraimo accelerated towards the line to beat off the Wigan tackle to score. Jake Connor made it 6-8 with the kick.

HALF TIME: Hull FC 6–8 Wigan Warriors


Hull took the lead in the 53rd minute as Faraimo got his second try of the match. FC took the ball down the right side and it was Connor’s offload that fond Faraimo who eased over the corner. Connor missed the kick so the score stood at 10-8.

The game started to open up as a storm hit and the weather took its toll.

Wigan looked to be in down the left edge as Oliver Gildart managed to get the ball out to Marshall who crossed over but the referee ruled it out for a forward pass.

The away side made it all square a minute later though as Tomkins kicked another penalty goal, this time 20 metres out as the Hull was offside. The score stood at 10 apiece with 10 minutes remaining.

However, there was late drama as Marshall dived over in the corner to win the game for the Warriors. Tomkins attempted a drop goal 10 metres out but his effort hit the crossbar, the ball rebounded into the arms of Ben Flower who passed to Sean O’Loughlin, the Wigan skipper’s looping pass sent Liam Marshll over in the corner.

Tomkins’ kick just went wide of the right post but it did not matter as Wigan took the two points with a 10-14 victory!

FULL TIME: Hull FC 10–14 Wigan Warriors

Match Details

Hull FC - 10

Tries: Faraimo (2)

Goals: Connor 1/2

Wigan Warriors - 14

Tries: Sarginson, Marshall

Goals: Tomkins 3/4

HT: 6-8

Attendance: 13,256

Hull FC: 1. Jamie Shaul, 2. Bureta Faraimo, 14. Jake Connor, 3. Carlos Tuimavave, Hakim Miloudi, 6. Albert Kelly, 35. Liam Harris, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 15. Chris Green, 27. Jack Downs, 12. Mark Minicheilo, 17. Danny Washbrook

Interchange: 20. Brad Fash, 23. Mickey Paea, 24. Jack Logan, 29. Masi Matongo

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 3. Dan Sarginson, 4. Oliver Gildart, 22. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 14. John Bateman, 19. Willie Isa, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 20. Morgan Escare, 30. Gabe Hamlin, 25. Romain Navarrete, 27. Callum Field

Referee: Robert Hicks