Hull KR 24 Wigan 8

  • Match report as Wigan lose 24-8 to Hull Kingston Rovers

  • Eight match unbeaten run comes to an end at KCOM Craven Park

  • Joel Tomkins with Wigan’s only try


Wigan’s eight match unbeaten run came to an end at KCOM Craven Park on Friday evening as Hull KR ran out 24-8 winners.

The home side led 10-8 at the break after tries from Junior Vaivai and Adam Quinlan.

Rovers edged further and further in front as the game wore on, firstly through Chris Atkin’s try, then Danny Tickle’s penalty. They made sure of the win in the 74th minute as Vaivai scored his second.


With Tommy Leuluai not named in the squad owing to an arm problem Shaun Wane moved his pivots around as Sam Powell started at hooker, Morgan Escaré in the halves alongside George Williams with Josh Ganson on the bench.

Oliver Gildart (illness) was replaced late on by Liam Forsyth.

Hull KR added some firepower to the side that Wigan beat here two weeks ago with Justin Carney back from injury.


Wigan led early on as Joel Tomkins reacted well after George Williams’ kick into the in-goal.

Sam Tomkins converted and his boot saw Wigan edge further in front in the 16th minute after a penalty for interference.

Tim Sheens’ side still looked dangerous and soon scored their first try of the night when Tommy Lee put a kick in behind the Wigan defence for Junior Vaivai to race through and touch down.

Rovers were in the ascendency and soon scored again as Will Dagger offloaded well to find full-back Adam Quinlan who jinked his way over. Tickle converted the first, not the second, and the home side led 10-8 after 30 minutes.

Wigan had a chance late on to level scores but decided to run a penalty from 20 metres out, Sam Tomkins’ kick on the last went dead meaning the teams turned around with the Robins just in front.

HALF TIME: Hull Kingston Rovers 10-8 Wigan Warriors


The teams jostled for position after the restart and it was KR who struck first as Chris Atkin stepped through a gap to reach out and score.

Wigan looked to respond and nearly did through John Bateman but the England international just fumbled the ball as he reached out to score.

Just moments later former Wigan man James Greenwood crashed over the line at the other end but the pas from Atkin was called forward by Ben Thaler.

Youngster Liam Forsyth, a late call-up for Oliver Gildart who missed out with illness, went down with a leg injury and was unable to carry on.

Wigan continued to fight but were unable to trouble the scorers and Rovers made them pay as Danny Tickle added a penalty goal 8 minutes from time. Joel Tomkins was also sent to the sin bin for dissent.

The Warriors right edge looked to find a way through but the ball went to ground allowing Greenwood to collect and offload to Vaivai who raced away to score his second of the night and complete the win.

FULL TIME: Hull Kingston Rovers 24-8 Wigan Warriors


Hull Kingston Rovers - 24

Tries: Vaivai 2, Quinlan, Atkin

Goals: Tickle 4/5

Wigan Warriors - 8

Tries: J Tomkins

Goals: S Tomkins 2/2

HT: 10-8

Hull Kingston Rovers: 1. Adam Quinlan, 37. Elliot Wallis, 22. Liam Salter, 2. Junior Vaivai, 36. Justin Carney, 28. Will Dagger, 11. Maurice Blair, 23. Josh Johnson, 19. Tommy Lee, 12. James Greenwood, 34. Danny Tickle, 17. Chris Clarkson, 15. James Donaldson

Interchange: 10. Mose Masoe, 8. Nick Scruton, 24. Chris Atkin, 13. Ben Kavanagh

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 14. John Bateman, 28. Liam Forsyth, 22. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 20. Morgan Escaré, 25. Romain Navarrete, 7. Sam Powell, 10. Ben Flower, 19. Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 11. Joel Tomkins

Interchange: 8. Tony Clubb, 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 23. Josh Ganson

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 7,222

Official Partners