Wigan 28 Castleford 12

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors defeat Castleford Tigers 28-12 at the DW Stadium on Friday Night

  • Tough performance sees the Warriors keep the Tigers scoreless in the second half after a tight first half

  • Two tries from Oliver Gildart with Liam Farrell, George Williams and Tony Clubb adding tries to complete victory


An Oliver Gildart brace helped Wigan to victory after a strong second half performance saw them beat Castleford in the Betfred Super League.

In a techy opening both sides added penalty goals. The game burst into life midway through the half with two tries in seven minutes from the Warriors, Oliver Gildart and Liam Farrell getting over. The visitors pulled themselves back into contention with efforts from Oliver Holmes and Garry Lo on debut.

The Warriors made a quick start to the second half scoring on their first tackle of the half! After another Joe Burgess break, Gildart scored his second of the game. George Williams edged Wigan closer to the win with a long-reaching try before Tony Clubb’s late four-pointer completed the scoring. Impressive defence from Shaun Wane’s side meant Cas were kept scoreless in the second half.


John Bateman continued at centre with Dan Sarginson dropping out in a late change with Ben Flower returning and Romain Navarette taking a place on the bench.

Castleford made only one change from the side that thrashed the Catalans Dragons 41-0 last week with Garry Lo replacing the injured James Clare on the wing to make his debut for the club.


Castleford took the lead early on with Luke Gale opting for the penalty goal following a ball steal, Cas 2-0 up inside four minutes.

Sam Tomkins went for the same option soon after, missing one attempt before capitalising with a second attempt for holding down from 30 metres out. The scores now level at 2-2 after 12 minutes.

Wigan capitalised on the penalty goal with the first try of the match. A strong fend from Joe Burgess on Jake Webster gave the Wigan winger the chance to break from deep. Burgess was stopped just short of the line by Greg Minikin but the winger held his nerve and a quick play-the-ball allowed Oliver Gildart to dive over from dummy half. Tomkins converted for an 8-2 Wigan lead, 19 minutes in.

The second try came a little later after a penalty for interference. A quick Williams pass when facing up to the defensive line saw Farrell break through with a smart spin to lose the defenders and get over the line. Tomkins was able to convert again for a 14-2 lead for Wigan after 26 minutes.

Momentum then shifted with the Tigers having chances. Making the most of a penalty from close range, Luke Gale was able to draw the line before finding the run of Holmes who powered over to get Castleford on the board. Gale made no mistake to close the gap to 14-8 with six minutes of the half to play.

After a Willie Isa chance where the ball was knocked-on close to the line, Castleford mounted an attack to make it back to back tries. Debutant Garry Lo scored in the corner but Gale couldn’t level the scores meaning a half time score of 14-12.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 14–12 Castleford Tigers


Wigan had a lightning quick start to the second half when Burgess’ kick return saw him run over 70 metres again getting on the outside of Webster. Gale on the angle made the tackle but Burgess was alert enough to offload for Gildart in support for his second. Wigan’s six-point lead was restored with Tomkins unable to convert, 18-12 after three second half minutes.

The game was tight again for a large period before a Sam Tomkins 40/20 opened Castleford up. It granted the Cherry and Whites a golden opportunity which Williams took with aplomb, utilising his step to reach out and ground the ball on the white line. Tomkins converted this one for a 24-12 lead with another 21 minutes to play.

After a few chances and resilient defence, the Warriors struck again. With Ben Flower tackled just in front of the line, Wigan tried the low route with Clubb burrowing over from close range to seal the victory. Tomkins missed the conversion but Wigan were worthy winners.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 28–12 Castleford Tigers


Wigan Warriors- 28

Tries: Gildart (2), Farrell, Williams, Clubb

Goals: Tomkins (4/6)

Castleford Tigers- 12

Tries: Holmes, Lo

Goals: Gale (2/3)

HT: 14-12

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 22. Liam Marshall, 14. John Bateman, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 19.Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 11. Joel Tomkins, 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 25. Romain Navarette

Castleford Tigers- 22. Jake Trueman, 2. Greg Minikin, 3. Jake Webster, 4. Michael Shenton, 20. Garry Lo, 1. Ben Roberts, 7. Luke Gale, 32. Liam Watts, 9. Paul McShane, 14. Nathan Massey, 11. Oliver Holmes, 16. Joe Wardle, 17 Alex Foster

Interchange: 10. Grant Millington, 12. Mike McMeeken, 13. Adam Milner, 18. Matt Cook

Referee: Robert Hicks

Attendance: 11,866