Wigan 24 Warrington 24

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors draw 24-24 with Warrington Wolves at the 2017 Dacia Magic Weekend

  • Joe Burgess scores with the final play of the game to seal the draw

  • Liam Marshall with a hat-trick, the first for a Wigan player at the Magic Weekend


Joe Burgess scored with the final play of the game as Wigan snatched a point against Warrington in a game that they had led for the most part.

Liam Marshall scored the opening try before Daryl Clark brought Warrington level. A second effort from winger Marshall saw the Warriors lead 12-6 at the interval but they were down to 12 men after Lewis Tierney was sin-binned for lying on.

Still down a man, Wigan extended their lead as Marshall completed his hat-trick. Warrington pulled two back through Stefan Ratchford and Tom Lineham. Ratchford and George Williams both traded penalty goals before Jack Hughes put the Wolves in front for the first time in the 75th minute.

Burgess leapt highest at the death to take Sean O’Loughlin’s lofted kick to make it 24-all. Williams’ touchline conversion attempt agonisingly drifted off course meaning it finished all square.


Shaun Wane made three changes to the Wigan side that beat Swinton Lions in the Challenge Cup last weekend. Sean O’Loughlin, George Williams and Josh Woods replaced Romain Navarrete, Nick Gregson and Josh Ganson.

Daryl Clark, Joe Westerman and Brad Dwyer came in for Declan Patton, Morgan Smith and Ashton Sims in Tony Smith’s Warrington outfit, the latter due to suspension.


Tom Davies and Liam Forsyth were tested with a couple of high bombs from Warrington early on but the Warriors soon got out of the blocks as they scored the first try of the game.

Sean O’Loughlin returned and was soon making an impact as his looping pass was touched by Matty Russell but Marshall pounced to score. Josh Woods converted and Wigan led 6-0 after just eight minutes.

Woods left the play soon after with an ankle injury and failed to return, Joel Tomkins can on off the bench.

The Wolves hit back five minutes later as England forward Chris Hill lost the ball in the tackle close to the Wigan line but Daryl Clark pounced on the loose ball to touch down from a yard out. Stefan Ratchford added the conversion to make the score level at 6-6.

Marshall scored his and Wigan’s second try of the game midway through the first-half when he intercepted a wayward Warrington pass to race 90 metres and outpace Ryan Atkins to score. Williams added the extras to put Wigan in a 12-6 lead.

The 21-year-old was denied a half-hour hat-trick by the video referee who judged his foot was in touch after collecting another sublime O’Loughlin pass.

Warriors full-back Lewis Tierney was shown a yellow card late on in the half for lying-on after a Warrington break.

Warrington had two consecutive sets on the Wigan line in the last couple of minutes of the half but Shaun Wane’s side showed great desire and effort in defence to hang on for a 12-6 lead at the break.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 12–6 Warrington Wolves


Down a man, Wigan would look to weather a Warrington storm at the start of the half. It didn’t come and the Warriors instead extended their lead when Marshall dinked the ball through from the half-back position to pounce and score. A 14th First Team try in 14 games for the Warriors and a first ever hat-trick at a Magic Weekend for a Wigan player to boot! Williams converted and Wigan were 18-6 ahead.

Lewis Tierney re-joined the fold but Warrington struck next as form Wigan St Pats amateur Ratchford collected a smart Kevin Brown chip to show quick pace and touch down. Ratchford’s conversion attempt bounced back off the post meaning Wigan led 18-10, 53 minutes in.

The Wire were on top and they added another four-pointer just five minutes later when a good move down the left put Tom Lineham in at the corner. Ratchford didn’t miss with the conversion this time and Wigan narrowly led 18-16.

Warrington were level on the 66th minute when Ratchford slotted home a penalty goal following a high shot from O’Loughlin on Brown. 18-18 with 14 minutes left on the clock.

A couple of minutes later, Joe Burgess was tackled off the ball so Wigan were awarded a penalty. Williams’ attempt hit the post and went over putting Warriors 20-18 in front.

The Wolves took the lead for the first time in the game in the 75th minute as Kevin Brown helped create an overlap on the right and Jack Hughes sneaked through the gap to score. Ratchford’s conversion was on target and Wigan trailed 24-20 with just minutes to go.

A short restart went wrong result in Warrington having the penalty. From that set they forced a drop-out, Wigan went for another short restart and this time forced an error from Kevin Brown.

The Warriors formed a scrum with just 1 minute 50 seconds on the clock. They made their way down field and on the last, O’Loughlin launched the ball into the sky only for Joe Burgess to leap highest and pounce to score a priceless try. The touchline conversion attempt from stand-in kicker Williams drifted off course meaning a frantic game finished 24-24.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 24–24 Warrington Wolves

Match Details

Wigan Warriors – 24

Tries: Marshall 3, Burgess

Goals: Woods 1/1, Williams 3/4

Warrington Wolves - 24

Tries: Clark, Ratchford, Lineham, Hughes

Goals: Ratchford 4/5

HT: 12-6

Attendance: 35,361


Wigan Warriors: 21. Lewis Tierney, 36. Tom Davies, 32. Liam Forsyth, 5. Joe Burgess, 35. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 39. Josh Woods, 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala, 9. Micky McIlorum, 19. Ryan Sutton, 20. Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin.

Interchange: 17. Taulima Tautai, 11. Joel Tomkins, 28. Jack Wells, 37. Callum Field.

Warrington Wolves: 1. Stefan Ratchford, 5. Matty Russell, 12. Jack Hughes, 4. Ryan Atkins, 2. Tom Lineham, 6. Kevin Brown, 7. Kurt Gidley, 8. Chris Hill, 9. Daryl Clark, 14. Mike Cooper, 24. Benjamin Jullien, 34. Ben Westwood, 13. Joe Westerman.

Interchange: 17. Dom Crosby, 23. Joe Philbin, 15. Brad Dwyer, 16. George King.

Referee – Ben Thaler

Official Partners