Reserves beat Red Devils

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors Reserves beat Salford Red Devils in a hard-fought clash at Robin Park Arena.
  • Harry Higham and Noah Hodkinson each scored twice as the Warriors crossed for six tries in the win.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 34-20 Salford Red Devils.

Wigan Warriors reserves scored six tries to record a hard-fought victory over salford red devils reserves at robin park arena.

Jack Farrimond’s early try put the Warriors ahead before Harry Higham crossed twice before the break to ensure Wigan led 16-14 at the interval.

Despite an end-to-end battle, the visitors were unable to take control as the Warriors added three tries in the second half to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.


The Warriors, who were boosted by the return of Nathan Lowe, had the first attacking sets in the contest following an early Salford handling error. Despite going close through Jack Purtill and George O’Loughlin, the visitors regained possession following a forward pass five metres short of the line.

After an evenly fought quarter of an hour, the Warriors went ahead when a powerful break from Noah Hodkinson saw the fullback offload to the supporting Farrimond who raced clear from 30m to finish. Farrimond added the extras to put Wigan 6-4 in front.

An error from the restart returned possession to Salford in a promising position, and after starting the set with multiple carries through the middle, a short pass from Jack Gatcliffe allowed McCurrie to advance through the gap to score. The Warriors remained in front after the kick was unsuccessful.

Wigan were reduced to 12-men mid-way through the half when Sam Eseh Jr was shown a yellow card for his involvement in a coming together. Salford took immediate advantage to take the lead when a clever offload from Yates allowed Brown to crash over from close range. Gatcliffe added the extras to put the visitors 10-6 in front.

The Red Devils took further advantage as they crossed for a third try before the half hour mark after a kick bounced into the hands of Connell who had enough power to ground despite an attempted tackle. The kick was off target once more as the score remained 14-6.

Despite still being a player short, Wigan responded on 32 minutes when the ball was worked to the right edge where a neat offload from Lowe allowed Higham to get over in the corner. The touchline kick was missed which kept Salford’s four points ahead.

From the restart the Warriors applied pressure to the Salford defence, and following a penalty for a high shot, the Warriors kept play alive on the right edge as Higham collected a pass before racing over for his second. Farrimond added the extras as Wigan closed out the half to lead 16-14 at the break.

After a short injury stoppage at the start of the second half, Salford applied pressure to the Warriors defence who were penalised for an offence on their own line. The Warriors initially kept out an attempted scoot between the sticks before possession was overturned following an incorrect play the ball.

The visitors continued to ask questions of the Warriors as an alert piece of defending from O’Loughlin prevented a potential try at the expense of a drop out, however, Wigan stood firm before their lead was widened on the hour when Hodkinson grounded a clever chip over the top from Charlie Yeomans. Farrimond added the extras to make the score 22-14.

The end-to-end action continued at Robin Park Arena as Salford responded on 66 minutes when Connell’s well-executed cut-out pass sent Harrison over on the wing. Gatcliffe reduced the points difference further with an accurate kick from the touchline.

Salford twice went close to taking the lead as the clock hit 70 minutes when first Yates powered over from close range only to be held up before a grubber kick to the corner narrowly evaded two Salford attackers.

The Warriors sealed their victory in the final five minutes when first Finlay Irwin first crashed over after powering through the line before Hodkinson grounded his second of the afternoon. Farrimond added both kicks to make the final score 34-20.

Wigan Warriors: Noah Hodkinson, Harry Higham, Nathan Lowe, Zach Eckersley, George O’Loughlin, Charlie Yeomans, Jack Farrimond, Sam Eseh JR, Jack Purtill, Kian McDermott, Fin Beardsworth, Fin Irwin, Lukas Mason.

Interchange: Austin Daniel, Taylor Kerr, Trent Kelly-Duffy, Kalum Rathbone.

18th Player: Dylan Kelly-Duffy.

Tries: Farrimond (15′), Higham (32′, 37′), Hodkinson (60′, 77′), Irwin (75′).

Goals: Farrimond (5/6).

Sin-bin: Eseh Jr (22′).

Salford Red Devils: Ethan Fitzgerald, Dan Harrison, George Charnock, Joshua Wagstaffe, Scott Egan, Nathan Connell, Jack Gatcliffe, Jordan Brown, Finley Yates, Alexander Davidson, Charlie McCurrie, Henry Davies, John Hutchings.

Interchange: Leunbo Bardyel Wells, Lewis Hough, George Hough, James Shields.

18th Player: N/A.

Tries: McCurrie (18′), Yates (22′), Connell (25′), Harrison (66′).

Goals: Gatcliffe (2/4).

Sunday 19 May 2024