Warriors lose to Hull KR

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors lose away at Hull KR.
  • Abbas Miski and Liam Farrell crossed for Wigan on the night.
  • FT | Hull KR 26-10 Wigan Warriors.

Match Report as Wigan Warriors fall to defeat on the road to Hull KR in Round 9 of Betfred Super League.

Bevan French, who made his debut as a substitute against Hull KR back in August 2019, made his 100th Wigan appearance on Friday night. He was the provider for Wigan’s opening try on the night with a looping pass to Abbas Miski.

Liam Farrell hit 500 Super League points with a try late in the second half but the Warriors went home with the defeat from Craven Park.


It was an intense start to the battle at Craven Park as both teams shared sets in the opening stages but a six again call for Hull KR 30m away from the line gave them a great advantage, which they took full use of as Sauaso Sue powered over from close range for the opening score. The effort was converted by Mikey Lewis for 6-0 after 5 minutes.

The hosts extended their lead in the 11th minute as former Warrior Oliver Gildart squeezed between the defence to go over on the right edge. The conversion attempt from out wide went across the face of goal from Mikey Lewis as it stood 10-0 to Hull KR.

Wigan tried their best to get on the attack but an opportunity came to nothing as an error allowed the Robins back on the ball. A high shot on 25 minutes gave Mikey Lewis an opportunity to extend the lead by a further two points, which he took from in front of the posts to make it 12-0.

The hosts got their third try of the evening as Peter Hiku crashed over on the half hour. A break from half way from Hiku saw him get the ball away to Evalds in a two-on-one before receiving the ball back inside to go in under the posts. Lewis added the extras and it was 18-0 going into the final 10 minutes of the first half.

Wigan had their best chance of the half with three minutes to go as Bevan French escaped on the right edge but his flick pass to Miski on the wing wasn’t taken as Hull KR recovered the ball to go in with the three-score lead at the changeover.

Wigan had a much brighter start to the second half but they still couldn’t find their first points. The Warriors were getting some down the left edge with Field and Marshall but a great break on 50 minutes saw Marshall’s pass back inside went to ground and the Robins recovered the possession.

The Warriors were on the board in the 53rd minute as a looping pass from Bevan French found Abbas Miski on the right wing who eased over in space. The touchline conversion from Keighran was off target as the score stood at 18-4 to the home side.

Hull KR hit back just after the hour. Wigan were penalised close to their own goal line and a series of passes found Ryan Hall on the wing who had the muscle to ground the ball in the corner, the conversion was missed and it was 22-4.

The hosts extended their lead in the 69th minute as a loose ball allowed Tanginoa to sprint up the field, avoiding the oncoming Wigan players to crash over in the corner, Lewis was unable to convert once more but it was the home side who had the 26-4 lead.

Wigan got a second in the 76th minute as Liam Farrell collected a short pass from Harry Smith to march over for his 500th Super League point. Adam Keighran nailed the conversion from out wide for 26-10 but it was defeat at Sewell Group Craven Park for Wigan.


Hull KR: Niall Evalds, Joe Burgess, Peta Hiku, Oliver Gildart, Ryan Hall, Tyrone May, Mikey Lewis, Sauaso Sue, Jez Litten, Jai Whitbread, Dean Hadley, James Batchelor, Elliot Minchella.

Interchange: Matt Parcell, Sam Luckley, Matty Storton, Kelepi Tanginoa.

18th Player: George King

Tries: Sue (5′), Gildart (11′), Hiku (29′), Hall (61′), Tanginoa (69′)

Goals: Lewis 3/6

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Luke Thompson, Brad O’Neill, Tyler Dupree, Junior Nsemba, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.

Interchange: Ethan Havard, Mike Cooper, Patrick Mago, Kruise Leeming.

18th Player: Harvie Hill.

Tries: Miski (53′), Farrell (76′)

Goals: Keighran 1/2

Referee: Tom Grant

Friday 26 April 2024