Reserves beat Tigers

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors Reserves finished 36 – 6 winners against Castleford Tigers Reserves.
  • Wigan scored six tries through six different scorers.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors Reserves 36-6 Castleford Tigers Reserves.

Match Report as Wigan Warriors Reserves recorded a 36-6 win over Castleford Tigers at Robin Park Arena on Saturday afternoon.

Wigan Warriors powered away from Castleford Tigers with a clinical second half performance at Robin Park Arena on Saturday afternoon. After a hard fought first forty minutes the sides went in level 6 – 6 at half time. Five unanswered second half tries however, meant the Warriors ran out convincing winners 36 – 6.


Wigan Warriors Reserves hosted their counterparts from Castleford Tigers on a bright Saturday afternoon at Robin Park Arena. Sam Eseh Jr was named in the starting line-up, making his first appearance since getting injured in pre-season against Huddersfield Giants.

Castleford got the game underway and from the opening set gave Wigan territory after they were caught offside. Wigan made some good metres and made the most of their early possession. After attacking to the right hand side, Wigan switched back to the left and Reserves debutant Jack Purtill found a nice ball, which allowed space out wide for Jacob Douglas to go over with barely 4 minutes on the clock. Jack Farrimond converted from out wide to make the score 6 – 0.

From the resulting kick off, Castleford put a high spiralling kick in, which Wigan failed to deal with. Despite not capitalising on the possession, the Tigers really got into the arm wrestle and set the tone for the rest of the first half. Matching each other set for set, with some terrific defence, neither team seemed to get a foothold into the game.

As the ten minute mark passed, the Tigers got a repeat set when Wigan were penalised and scrum half Jensen Windley made the most of it, weaving and ducking his way to the try line under the posts. Centre Alfie Dean levelled the scores with a comfortable conversion.

Sixteen minutes in and Wigan made some impressive metres upfield. Jack Farrimond placed a high kick and despite Castleford collecting it deep in their own half, the Warriors forced a knock on from the next tackle. From the resulting set, lively half back Purtill thought he’d managed to evade the cover defence and squeeze over. The Tigers defence kept him upright and the Tigers players pulled him over the dead ball line.

With Wigan looking for a way to get back in front, Tom Ratchford who made some eye catching breaks, tried a chip over the top on the last but the ball just evaded him and ran dead.

As half time approached, Castleford had a few sets deep in Wigan territory after successive penalties but were unable to convert, losing the ball close to the line just before the half came to a close. The sides went into the sheds all square at 6 apiece.

The Warriors utilised their first set of possession in the second half clinically as quick hands found Harry Higham and his sidestep gave him enough time to dive over. Farrimond once again converted a difficult kick to make it 12 – 6 to the Warriors.

On 48 minutes Wigan were in again, this time Farrimond floating a great ball to the sideline for Maddox Jeffery to dart in. Farrimond converted once more for 18 – 6 and the game was quickly getting away from the Tigers.

Castleford forced another error from the kick off and despite earning a penalty from the resulting set, they were unable to capitalise. Despite forcing a repeat set, they couldn’t find a way over as a wide ball to left winger Daniel Sarbah hit the ground and he was unable to regather.

As the final quarter approached, good work from Tiaki Chan left the Castleford defence in disarray. Purtill took full advantage and scooted over to extend the lead. Farrimond added another perfect conversion to give the Warriors a 24 – 6 advantage with time firmly against the Tigers.

Just a few minutes later with a Castleford player down in the backfield, the Warriors broke easily down the left hand side. Substitute Lukas Mason showed great awareness to support and finished off a flowing move. Farrimond was once again clinical with the boot.

Wigan thought they were in again as the game approached the final ten minutes. Chan was once again a handful through the middle. On the last, a little chip looked to have been grounded but the referee chalked the effort off.

There was time for one more Warriors try though. A brilliant take and pass from Purtill saw prop Kian McDermott charge through unchallenged. Farrimond completed a perfect day with the boot, adding on his sixth successful conversion to confirm a 36-6 victory.

Wigan Warriors: Reagan Sumner, Maddox Jeffrey, Harry Higham, George O’Loughlin, Jacob Douglas, Jack Purtill, Jack Farrimond, Kian McDermott, Tom Ratchford, Sam Eseh Jr, Finley Beardworth, Finlay Irwin, Tiaki Chan

Interchange: Taylor Kerr, Lukas Mason, Trent Kelly-Duffy, Ryan Brown.

18th Player: Dylan Kelly-Duffy,

Tries: Jacob Douglas, Harry Higham, Maddox Jeffrey, Jack Purtill, Lukas Mason, Kian McDermott

Goals: Farrimond 6/6

Bradford: Will Groves, Jacob Hall, Alfie Dean, Jonathan Mitsias, Daniel Sarbah, Jaiden Linford, Jensen Windley, Akim Matvejev, Alfie Horwell, Woody Walker, Sam Darley, Joseph Gibbons, Denver Millington

Interchange: Alfie Hawkhead, Yvann Kamgang, Alfie Dale, Sam Grice

Tries: Jensen Windley

Goals: Alfie Dean 1/1

By David Bailey

Saturday 20 April 2024