Wigan Warriors are looking for a Health Engagement Officer to work alongside Wigan Warriors Community Foundation.
Responsible to the Head of Community, the candidate will engage and recruit clients onto the Weight Management Service (MWMD) in partnership with Wigan Council and Wigan Athletic Community Trust.
- Recruit and support adult men with a BMI 25 – 39.9, (overweight and obese) into a 12 week weight management intervention as part of the MWMS.
- Develop a programme of engagement activities to engage, motivate and persuade men, particularly those who support Wigan Warriors and recruit them to take part in the MWMS offer.
- Work with the communications team, (across the partnerships) to raise the profile through PR and Marketing campaigns of the MWMS amongst club supporters and the wider community.
- To raise awareness of the risk factors of being overweight and obese and the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle.
- To provide on-going support to participants on nutrition, physical activity and behaviour change.
- To deliver a variety of sessions to groups of men signed up for the MWM programme.
- Act as the Community Foundation’s main contact for the MWMS and maintain a positive relationship with programme lead partner, Wigan Council Be Well and Wigan Athletic Community Trust and the commissioners, Wigan Council.
- Build community links and partnerships to promote MWMS with a particular focus around community/grassroots sports clubs.
- Assist in the delivery of Wigan Warriors Community Foundation led sessions as part of the MWMS offer.
- To work closely with partners such as primary care, other lifestyle service providers and community leaders to provide the MWMS.
- Work with Lifestyle Coaches across the partnership to identify existing routs for participants into further physical activity and sports provision organised by project partners.
- Recruit health champions/volunteers from Wigan Warriors supporters based to assist in the promotion of the MWMS.
- Find innovative ways of engaging supporters from both Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic in events and competition based activities.
- To actively contribute to the MWMS wider partnership collaboration.
- Ensure all activities are correctly monitored with the appropriate risk assessments and health and safety procedures put in place.
- To assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the programme by keeping up to date, confidential records on all participants and activities.
- Be a flexible member of the Wigan Warriors Community Foundation team and when requested, occasionally assist in the delivery of other projects and activities including evenings and weekends.
- To keep abreast of the latest developments in the industry and assist in the management of the department and strategy accordingly.
- To work unsociable hours including match-days, bank holidays, early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Support other areas of Community Foundation delivery when needed e.g. School Delivery Programme.
- To organise and to attend relevant training as and when necessary.
- Be fully co-operative to colleagues requiring assistance and to be flexible when assisting them in response to business needs of the Foundation.
- Act to protect all young people and vulnerable adults that are in their care or attending the Company’s premises. The employee must report any misconduct or suspected misconduct to the Foundations Designated Safeguarding Officer and the Wigan Warriors Head of Safeguarding.
- Ensure a positive commitments towards equality and diversity by treating others fairly and not committing any form of direct or indirect discrimination, victimisation or harassment of any description and to promote positive working relations amongst employees and customers.
- The above Job Description is not intended to be exhaustive, the duties and responsibilities may therefore vary over time according to the changing needs of the Foundation.
- Educated to degree level (or Equivalent) in a Sport, Community or health related subject. (Essential)
- RFL Level 2 Coaching Award. (Essential)
- Level 2 Exercise and Fitness Qualification. (Essential)
- Level 1 Coaching Award in one or more sports other than rugby. (Desirable)
- Level 2 in Royal Society Public Health, Understanding Health Improvement. (Desirable)
- Level 3 GP Exercise Referral Qualification. (Desirable)
- Experience of delivering health promotion/public health interventions in Community settings. (Essential)
- Experience in working with Challenging and hard to reach young people and families in sport or health setting. (Essential)
- A positive track record of planning and delivering health interventions specific to individual requirements. (Essential)
- Experience of working in professional sports club environment. (Desirable)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. (Essential)
- Excellent organisational skills. (Essential)
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills. (Essential)
- Knowledge and understanding of barriers to men taking part in physical and health interventions. (Essential)
- Sound understanding of issues around equality and diversity and how this can affect the delivery of activities. (Essential)
- Full clean driving licence, with access to a car. (Essential)
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well within a team. (Essential)
- Confident and articulate. Ability to perform under pressure and respond calmly to competing demands. (Essential)
Health & Safety
- Fully endorse, demonstrate and carry out the company health and safety policy.
- Comply with all Company policies and statutory regulations.
- Comply with all policies and statutory regulations which apply at stakeholder and school sites.
Wigan Warriors Community Foundation is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to endorse this commitment. This post requires Enhanced Criminal Records Checks and may include checks against the Barred Lists, as such it is exempt from Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Therefore, all convictions including spent convictions that have not been subject to filtering by the DBS should be declared.
How to apply
Please request an application pack from Carol Madden via email [email protected]
Closing date for applications – 5pm on Friday 10th November
Wigan Warriors is an Equal Opportunities employer and we are committed to continuing to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a core part of everything we do.