Wigan Warriors are looking for an inspirational coach to join the Community Foundation, delivering Rugby League sessions in the Blackpool area.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to deliver Rugby League in Blackpool, the role will develop and increase the presence of Wigan Warriors throughout various localities of Blackpool by providing opportunities to access rugby league related school provision, holiday and match day activities, healthy recreation and wellbeing improvement.
When delivering, the key agenda is to create a culture of engaging more people in rugby league, involving them in more activity and creating more players, supporters and spectators of Wigan Warriors.
- Work with primary and secondary schools in Blackpool to deliver and grow Rugby League participation.
- Work towards and achieve income targets set by Wigan Warriors Community Foundation.
- Develop and deliver programmes that contribute to the health agenda and significantly increase the number of individuals involved in healthy recreation across Blackpool.
- Support and deliver holiday camps for Wigan Warriors, ensuring that every child has a positive and unforgettable experience.
- Maximise ticketing and promotional initiatives at grassroots level and beyond through all activities delivered.
- Support the Wigan Warriors fan village and events during home match day fixtures.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with local partners, primary/secondary schools.
- Support the development of Blackpool Stanley and signpost new participants from school delivery.
- Ensure all activities are correctly monitored with the appropriate risk assessments and health and safety procedures put in place.
- Be a flexible member of the Wigan Warriors Community Foundation teams and when requested assist in the delivery of other projects and activities including evenings and weekends.
- Work unsociable hours to include bank holidays, early mornings, evenings and weekends when required.
Health & Safety:
- Fully endorse, demonstrate and carry out the company health and safety policy.
- Comply with all Company policies and statutory regulations relating to Health & Safety, safe working practices, hygiene, cleanliness, fire and COSHH. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards in your workplace and assist if required with the amending of risk assessments periodically.
- Have a full knowledge of procedures for evacuation with regard to fire.
- Identify and report maintenance requirements or hazards within the workplace and to encourage any workforce to do the same to avoid injury.
- Cooperate fully with colleagues and be flexible when assisting them in response to business needs of the group.
- Ensure a positive commitment towards equality and diversity by treating others fairly and not committing any form of direct or indirect discrimination, victimisation or harassment of any description and to promote positive working relations amongst employees and customers.
- The above job description is not intended to be exhaustive, the duties and responsibilities may therefore vary over time according to the changing needs of the group.
- NGB Level 2 in Coaching Rugby League. (Essential)
- Additional NGB Level 1 or 2 qualifications covering recognised sports. (Essential)
- Current Full Driving Licence and access to a vehicle. (Essential)
- A higher level qualification in Sport & Coaching. (Desirable)
- Current First Aid Qualification. (Desirable)
- Sports Coach UK Awards in: Safeguarding and Child Protection, Equity in your Coaching, How to Coach disabled sports performers. (Desirable)
- Proven track record of delivering rugby league coaching to young people in a school environment. (Essential)
- Community Development experience at a professional sports club, sporting organisation or other appropriate agency. (Essential)
- Experience of delivering educational workshops/lessons. (Desirable)
- Experience of forming and maintaining key strategic partnerships. (Desirable)
- Experience of developing and maintaining relationships with a variety of stakeholders. (Desirable)
- Experience of creating, organising and implementing new Sport Development Programmes and initiatives. (Desirable)
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to motivate and engage with challenging young people. (Essential)
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. (Essential)
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills. (Essential)
- Sound understanding of equality and diversity and its application in community based projects. (Essential)
- Good working knowledge of Safeguarding vulnerable groups and best practice in the delivery of sessions. (Essential)
- The ability to empathise with young people and also challenge negative behaviours. (Essential)
- Understanding of the Wigan/Lancashire Community and the importance of the Professional Club’s place in it. (Desirable)
- Ability to perform under pressure and respond calmly to competing demands. (Essential)
- Confident and articulate. (Essential)
- Strong relationship building skills and the confidence to relate with internal and external partners. (Essential)
Wigan Warriors is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to endorse this commitment. Please note that this role is subject to a satisfactory DBS clearance being obtained.
The employee must act to protect all young people and vulnerable adults that are in their care or attending the group’s premises. The employee must report any misconduct or suspected misconduct to the Head of Safeguarding.
How to apply
Please request an application pack from Carol Madden via email [email protected]
Closing date for applications – 5pm on Friday 10th November
Wigan Warriors is an Equal Opportunities employer and we are committed to continuing to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a core part of everything we do.