Warriors win Grand Final

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors win against Catalans Dragons to be crowned 2023 Betfred Super League Champions.
  • A Liam Marshall try and three goals from Harry Smith sealed the win for the Warriors.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 10-2 Catalans Dragons.

Match Report as Wigan Warriors defeat the Dragons 10-2 at Old Trafford to be crowned 2023 Betfred Super League Champions.

The first forty was an arm wrestle at Old Trafford which saw Adam Keighran sent to the sin bin and the scores were level at the interval with penalty goals from Harry Smith and Adam Keighran for 2-2.

Wigan got themselves in front as Liam Marshall crossed for a converted try in the 51st minute before Harry Smith added a second penalty goal for 10-2 to see Wigan win the 2023 Betfred Super League Grand Final.


A bruising start to the game saw the teams go set for set. Tomkins sent the first teasing ball towards the corner which Keighran collected but the Wigan defence wrapped up the centre for the turnover.

The Dragons were reduced to 12-men after 19 minutes as the Warriors started to work through their sets, Keighran produced a dangerous tackle on Kai Pearce-Paul to see the Catalans men into the sin bin, as Ethan Havard was also introduced to the action off the interchange bench.

Moments later, the Warriors went closest to opening the scores as Liam Farrell slipped through a tackle before being stopped just short of the goal line.

Wigan got the first points of the game in the 25th minute. Liam Marshall was caught high by Manu Ma’u and Harry Smith called for the tee, slotting over the penalty goal for 2-0.

Catalans levelled the scores with 4 minutes to go until the break, after a penalty for an offside close to the Wigan goal line allowed Adam Keighran to slot over the penalty goal for 2-2.

Jake Wardle broke through shortly after the restart and his supporting winger Liam Marshall was pulled back off the ball by former Warriors Tom Davies, who was sent to the sin bin. The Warriors couldn’t capitalise on the fresh set though as Morgan Smithies was penalised for an obstruction.

Bevan French thought he’d got Wigan back ahead after an outrageous break from Jai Field saw French finish the move but the referee called it back for a forward pass in the build-up and it remained locked in at 2-2.

Wigan got the opening try in the 51st minute as Jake Wardle dropped a shoulder before sending Liam Farrell racing towards the whitewash, sending a final pass to the supporting Liam Marshall to ease over. Harry Smith converted the effort to put Wigan 8-2 ahead.

A high shot on Tyler Dupree close to the Catalans goal line saw Wigan once again shout for the kicking tee as Harry Smith successfully added another two points, seeing Wigan at 10-2 with 15 minutes to play.

The Dragons attacked well in the dying stages to try and get back in contention but the Warriors held firm to deny Catalans and see them crowned Champions at Old Trafford.


Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Toby King, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Tyler Dupree, Brad O’Neill, Kaide Ellis, Kai Pearce-Paul, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchange: Sam Powell, Willie Isa, Ethan Havard, Patrick Mago.

18th Player: Joe Shorrocks.

Tries: Marshall (51′)

Goals: Smith 3/3

Catalans Dragons: Sam Tomkins, Tom Davies, Matt Ikuvalu, Adam Keighran, Tom Johnstone, Tyrone May, Mitchell Pearce, Mike McMeeken, Michael McIlorum, Siosiua Taukeiaho, Matt Whitley, Paul Seguier, Ben Garcia.

Interchange: Arthur Mourgue, Romain Navarrete, Julian Bousquet, Manu Ma’u.

18th Player: Arthur Romano.

Goals: Keighran 1/1

Sin Bin: Keighran (19′), Davies (43′)

Referee: Liam Moore

Attendance: 58,137

Saturday 14 October 2023