Warriors reach Grand Final

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull KR in the Betfred Super League Play-Off Semi-Final.
  • The Warriors reach the Grand Final for the first time since 2020 with an emphatic victory, helped by a hat-trick from Liam Marshall.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 42-12 Hull KR.

Wigan Warriors scored seven tries to beat Hull KR 42-12 and reach the Betfred Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Harry Smith’s stellar performance was capped with a 100% record from the tee, as seven Warriors tries see them take victory and head to Old Trafford.

Liam Marshall’s 150th Wigan Warriors appearance featured a hat-trick, with Liam Farrell making his 350th appearance for the club along with Willie Isa who made his 200th. Jake Wardle made his 100th Super League appearance, as Smith’s seven conversions saw him surpass 500 Super League points.


The Warriors got off to a flying start, earning an extra set on the half-way line with the ball being knocked on by the Hull KR defence.

On his 150th appearance for the club, Liam Marshall would make the set count. Upon receiving the ball from Jai Field, the winger muscled his way down in the corner to score, with Harry Smith impressively adding the extras to give the home side an early 6-0 lead.

Minutes later, the Cherry and Whites were in again. A clever kick through the middle of the Robins’ defence bounced in front of Field, who kicked the ball into the in-goal area before diving on it to score. Smith added the extras from the tee to double our advantage.

The Warriors added a third try after 11 minutes when, after working their attack wide into a threatening position, the ball was passed to Marshall who brilliantly stepped inside to score his second of the game. Smith made no mistake with the conversion to extend the lead to 18-0.

A quarter of the way through the game, Hull KR would earn a lifeline when, after kicking on the final tackle, the ball bounced back the way of the Robins which meant Wigan would have to start their set from inside their own 10 metre line.

A knock-on presented KR the ball back in a dangerous position, and Elliot Minchella profited as he scored through the middle, with Brad Schneider adding the extras to close the scores.

Both sides would then fail to capitalise on errors in their respective opponent’s half, as Patrick Mago carried strongly over halfway on the hooter to see the Warriors maintain their 18-6 lead at the break.

Once again the Warriors were the stronger side out the blocks, almost immediately taking the ball up the field to a promising position. With Smith’s floated kick knocked backwards by Willie Isa, Bevan French would hold onto possession for Wigan.

Still on the final tackle, the Australian would send a incredible kick the way of the ever-reliable Marshall, who was wide open in the corner to catch and score, sealing his hat-trick. Smith retained his perfect record from the tee with another conversion from out-wide.

Matt Peet’s side were becoming relentless, sending attack after attack Hull KR’s way. Likewise to the previous try, Smith’s troubling kick was again knocked backwards by the Warriors to the hands of French, who found Toby King to score. Smith’s curled conversion secured another two points to make it 30-6 to Wigan.

The 2023 League Leaders were well in their groove and showing no signs of slowing down. Mago would receive the ball off Smith before fantastically offloading to Field, who used his pace to beat the away defenders and score his second of the game. Despite yet another difficult angle, Smith’s conversion was good to seal his 500th point for the club.

Shortly after, it was Abbas Miski’s turn to join the scoresheet, with a trademark dive in the corner to take the scores to 40 for Wigan. Smith’s 100% record from the tee continued, making it a marvellous seven from seven on the day.

It was so nearly an eighth for the Warriors and a second for Miski in quick succession, with Field’s pass forward before the winger touched the ball down.

With three minutes left on the clock and the Warriors well on their way, Hull KR’s Jordan Abdull would burst through the Warriors line and pass to Jez Litten, who scored the final try of the game. Schneider’s conversion made the score 42-12, which would remain as the final score.

The Warriors’ emphatic victory sees them cruise to next week’s Super League Grand Final, where they will face Catalans Dragons at Old Trafford.

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Toby King, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Tyler Dupree, Brad O’Neill, Kaide Ellis, Kai Pearce-Paul, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchange: Sam Powell, Willie Isa, Patrick Mago, Harvie Hill.

18th Player: Joe Shorrocks.

Tries: Marshall (2′, 11′, 43′), Field (5′, 54′), King (47′), Miski (56′).

Goals: Smith (7/7).

Hull KR: Jack Walker, Louis Senior, Tom Opacic, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Ryan Hall, Mikey Lewis, Brad Schneider, Dean Hadley, Matt Parcell, George King, James Batchelor, Kane Linnett, Elliot Minchella.

Interchange: Jordan Abdull, Jez Litten, Matty Storton, Sam Luckley.

18th Player: Rhys Kennedy

Tries: Minchella (24′), Litten (77′).

Goals: Schneider (2/2)

Referee: Liam Moore.

Attendance: 15,162

Saturday 07 October 2023