Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce the signings of 11 new Academy players for the 2024 season.
The Warriors can confirm that 10 players have signed Academy contracts after progressing through the Club’s Scholarship programme.
The new additions signed their contracts with Chairman Ian Lenagan in the Robin Park Arena Fan Village ahead of the First Team’s game against Castleford Tigers, before they were pictured on the DW Stadium pitch at half time.
Speaking on the new signings from the Scholarship programme, Head of Youth Shane Eccles said: “We are delighted to have promoted 10 players from our Scholarship into the Academy squad for 2024.
“These players have been with the club on Scholarship for the last two years developing their core skills and physical attributes in preparation for the Academy. It’s always an exciting time seeing the young players progress from Scholarship into the Academy.”
The Warriors have also signed full back Austin Daniel from outside of the Club’s Scholarship programme, and on the signing, Eccles said: “We’ve been monitoring Austin’s progress over the last two years and as soon as the opportunity came up to sign him for Wigan it was obvious we had to do what we could to get him to the Club.
“All the players have now started training with the Academy and will be looking forward to a good and tough pre-season ahead of the 2024 season.”
The 11 new Academy signings:
- Austin Daniel (Wigan St Jude’s, St John Fisher High School)
- Hamza Butt (Leigh Miners Rangers, Clitheroe Royal Grammar School)
- Harlen Smith (Orrell St James, St Peters High School)
- Jaiden Drachenberg (Wigan St Jude’s, St John Fisher High School)
- Josh Swindley (West Bank ARLFC, St Peters & Paul School)
- Koen Perry (Hindley ARLFC, Standish High School)
- Leo Wadsworth (Orrell St James, St Peters High School)
- Mike Porter (Orrell St James, St Peters High School)
- Nathaniel Twiss (Blackbrook ARLFC, Kirkby Stephen Grammar School)
- Nathan Benson (Blackbrook Royals, St Cuthbert’s High School)
- Tom Bridge (Orrell St James, St Peters High School)
Our Academy side face Warrington Wolves in the play-off semi-final at Robin Park Arena on Sunday. The clash gets underway at 12pm, and supporters can attend with Adults £5 and Concessions £3.