Wigan win at Giants

  • Match Report as Wigan Warriors seal a hard fought victory away to Huddersfield Giants.
  • Bevan French crossed for a double as Jake Wardle scored against his former Club.
  • FT | Huddersfield Giants 12-14 Wigan Warriors.

Bevan French crossed for a double, as Jake Wardle also scored to seal a 14-12 win on the road at the John Smith’s Stadium on Friday night.

It was a quieter first half, as the hosts opened the scoring with a penalty goal inside 10 minutes. Bevan French got the first try of the game with Jake Wardle scoring against his former Club. The only scores from the Giants came from penalty goals as Wigan went in 8-6 to the good at the interval.

The Giants got their opening try shortly after the restart but Wigan responded on the hour as Bevan French got his second of the game to get Wigan back in front at 14-12, sealing the win on the road.


The Giants opened the scoring after 8 minutes after a penalty in the hosts’ favour close to the Wigan goal line. Huddersfield opted for the two-pointer as Olly Russell slotted over the kick to put the Giants into an early 2-0 lead.

Wigan responded in the 15th minute as Marsters spilled the ball for Cust to collect and send a cute grubber through for Bevan French to collect and score on the right wing. From the touchline, Harry Smith couldn’t convert but Wigan led 4-2.

Russell levelled the scores on 22 minutes as a penalty for a high tackle 30 meters out was again put on the tee by Huddersfield who added the two-pointer for a 4-4 score.

Wigan responded immediately though as a kick on the last was fumbled in goal by the Giants to allow Jake Wardle to pounce on the loose ball and get Wigan’s second try of the evening. Smith couldn’t add the extras from the touchline as the ball ricocheted off the uprights and it was 8-4.

Right on the stroke of half time, the Giants reduced the deficit again as another penalty went against the Warriors. Olly Russell made it three penalty goals from three but Wigan led 8-6 at the break.

The Giants retook the lead early in the second half as a kick-through from Pryce went behind the Warriors defensive line and allowed Naiqama to get Huddersfield’s first try of the evening. Russell added the conversion and it was 12-8.

Wigan went close in the 57th minute as they had numbers on the right edge, a pass through the line to Isa was juggled but eventually the ball went to ground but Wigan could feel some momentum building.

On the hour mark the Warriors got their noses back in front as a high kick was batted back by Wardle into the hands of French who swivelled away from the defence to get the ball down. Smith added the extras to make it 14-12 going into the final 20 minutes.

With the clock ticking down, Wardle thought he’d grabbed his second as he made an acrobatic dive towards the left corner but the referee adjudged him to have gone into touch to deny Wigan a further score as it remained 14-12 until the final hooter, confirming a win on the road for the Warriors.


Huddersfield Giants: Tui Lolohea, Jake Bibby, Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Leroy Cudjoe, Will Pryce, Olly Russell, Chris Hill, Nathan Peats, Olly Wilson, Chris McQueen, Josh Jones, Luke Yates.

Interchange: Ashton Golding, Seb Ikahihifo, Harry Rushton, Jack Ashworth.

18th Player: Harvey Livett. (Unused)

Tries: Naiqama (46′)

Goals: Russell 4/4

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Bevan French, Toby King, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Cade Cust, Harry Smith, Liam Byrne, Sam Powell, Mike Cooper, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchange: Ethan Havard, Kaide Ellis, Patrick Mago, Kai Pearce-Paul.

18th Player: Brad O’Neill. (Unused)

Tries: French (15′, 60′), Wardle (25′)

Goals: Smith 1/3

Referee: Jack Smith

Attendance: 5,777

Friday 17 March 2023