Scholars stunned by Hull FC

  • Wigan Warriors Scholars fell to their first defeat of the season.
  • Hull FC staged a second half comeback to deny Wigan a fifth consecutive win.
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 18-20 Hull FC.

The Warriors suffered a second-half comeback as they lost out 20-18 to Hull FC at a rainy Orrell St James on Wednesday evening. 

Both sides utilised the the sloping pitch to good effect with the majority of the 38 points scored downhill, FC the main benefactors as they stormed from 18-4 behind to win 20-18. 

Wigan opened the scoring with seven minutes on the clock as Joseph Tyrer’s pass found the run of Taylor Kerr who raced over for a try which Nathaniel Twiss converted for 6-0. 

The lead doubled on 15 minutes with a battling attacking set finished off by Lewis George who dived over for a try from close range, Twiss was successful with the boot to make it 12-0.

Hull’s best chance of the half so far came on 36 minutes as a quick grubber kick from Callum Kemp forced a dropout and they used the advantage to cut the gap to 12-4 with a passing play that saw Callum Barfield cross on the wing. 

The sides entered the half time interval with the score at 12-4 and all to play for but during the break, the weather took a turn for the worse with a downpour which made sets hard to complete after the restart.

Hull went close to the first score of the second half with a lofted kick from Joe Thompson finding the grasp of Ryan Westerman who was denied a try by great line defence from Wigan. The first score of the half went to Wigan as Tobias Rich collected a Twiss offload to cross in the corner; Twiss extended his streak from the tee to open up an 18-4 lead. 

However, the joy was soon curtailed by two scores in three minutes from the visitors, firstly Kemp’s lofted kick was collected and touched down by Ellis Lowthorpe before Alfie MacLean dived over from close range and Westerman converted the latter for 18-14. 

Wigan’s hopes of a response saw a number of errors with the ball as the conditions up the slope continued to have an effect while the battled the improving Hull defence. 

Hull completed their comeback in style just after the hour mark as a superb lofted kick from Westerman fell perfectly for Lowthope to claim his second try and with Westerman converting; the visitors led forthe first time at 20-18.

Wigan pushed to regain the lead but were met by resilient Hull defence and the ball becoming hard to handle in the worsening rain which also impacted Hull’s efforts to wrap up the game at the other end. 

The final whistle from the referee was greeted by a road of joy from the travelling fans while Wigan were left to reflect on two points lost. 

Wigan Warriors: Nathaniel Twiss, Jaiden Drachenburg, Joseph Tyrer, George O’Loughlin, Tobias Rich, George Green, Taylor Kerr, Michael Porter, Lewis George, Keegan Boyd, Matthew Thornton, Joshua Cartwright, Kalum Rathbone. 

Interchanges: Nathan Benson, Kian McDermott, Robert Bentham, Joshua Swindley, Lewis Owens, Vincent Arthurs, Leo Wadsworth. 

Tries: Kerr (7′), George (15′), Rich (48′)

Goals: Twiss 3/3

Hull FC: Lloyd Kemp, Alfie Maclean, Benjamin Johnson, Ryan Westerman, Callum Barfield, Joseph Thompson, Callum Kemp, Lenon Clark, Ellis Lowthorpe, Jack Horsfield, Lennon Nicholson,William Kirby, Billy Thompson.

Interchanges: Owen Briggs, Jordon Baker, Blake Collier, Ellis Opie, Johnathan Turner, Henry Watkinson, Alistair Swyer. 

Tries: Barfield (37′) Lowthorpe (53′, 64′) Maclean (56′)

Goals: Westerman 2/4

By Simon Driscoll