- Find out more about Wigan’s new signing Ramon Silva with 10 facts!
- 20-year-old forward joins from London Broncos on a two-year deal.
- Silva: “It’s the dream to sign for Wigan.”
Wigan Warriors announced the signing of Ramon Silva on Wednesday. Here’s everything you need to know about the 20-year-old…
- Silva was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2001. He moved over to the UK with his parents when he was three-years-old.
- He speaks and writes fluent Portuguese and English.
- Silva has a background in mixed martial arts – taught by his father, Ricardo. Ramon previously trained at Nova Forca gym – a gym owned by his father and where professional MMA fighters from UFC and boxers go to train.
- He recently became a black belt in jui-jitsu and has also competed in boxing and MMA fighting, winning two MMA fights and taking part in a National competition for Olympic Wrestling aged 13.
- He started playing Rugby League aged 15 at Elmbridge Eagles Rugby League Club. After playing four games, Silva impressed and was signed up by London Broncos.
- He is primarily a prop forward but can also play as a second rower.
- Silva has previously played against Wigan’s Under-19s team and he scored a try against the Warriors in 2019. Overall, he spent three seasons playing for London Broncos Academy.
- He is very close friends with new Wigan teammate Kai Pearce-Paul. The pair played together for London’s Under-19s team when Silva started out at the Broncos and Pearce-Paul was in his second year. They also lived together in London during the first Covid-19 lockdown in 2020.
- Silva currently weighs 102kg.
- After joining Wigan from London on a two-year contract, with the option of a third year, he has now arrived at Robin Park Arena and is set to begin pre-season training with his new teammates.
After signing for Wigan, Silva commented: “It’s the dream to sign for Wigan. I know a lot of people would do anything to get to where I am and have this opportunity. I’m very proud and thankful for the opportunity.
“My plan is to improve as much as I can and to strive to be a key player. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and getting stuck in.
“I’m excited to make everyone proud – my family and friends in Brazil and all the Wigan fans here. I’d also like to say thank you to my parents, especially my dad. He’s helped me to get to where I am today.”
Make it Wigan in 2022 and celebrate our 150th year with a Wigan Warriors season ticket. Supporting Wigan is about more than just going to a game. It’s about something bigger, something special. It’s about playing our own individual role in helping the Club succeed. Buy your season ticket today. Click HERE for all the details.