Here’s everything you need to know ahead of Wigan’s Betfred Super League Round 15 clash with Wakefield this Friday.
Adrian Lam’s men welcome Trinity having lost to the Yorkshire side last time out when they met at the Mobile Rocket Stadium back in June.
Campaign so far
Wigan head into the game with nine wins from a possible 14 in the Betfred Super League, two of those wins coming last week in back-to-back fixtures against Huddersfield.
Wakefield have won just four games from a possible 14, and head into the tie having picked up only one win in their last five outings.
Wigan’s ranks are bolstered by the availability of Jackson Hastings (one-game) and Willie Isa (two-games), who have now served their respective bans.
Sam Powell is also included this week after missing last week’s win over Huddersfield with a failed H.I.A.
Liam Byrne is unavailable this week as he recovers from a rib cartilage injury. The forward also missed out on last week’s win over Huddersfield.
Morgan Smithies (ankle), Zak Hardaker (neck), John Bateman (ankle), Jai Field (hamstring) and Bevan French (hamstring) all remain sidelined in recovery.
Wigan Warriors squad to face Wakefield Trinity
On Wednesday Adrian Lam named the Warriors 21-man squad for Friday’s game.
Chris Chester also named a squad on Wednesday, welcoming back five players from injury and/or suspension.
Last ten meetings:
- Wakefield 14, Wigan 6 (SLR11, 24/6/21)
- Wigan 34, Wakefield 6 (SLR2, 1/4/21) (at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens)
- Wigan 28, Wakefield 16 (SLR13, 25/9/20) (at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington)
- Wakefield 22, Wigan 23 (SLR8, 9/8/20) (at Emerald Headingley, Leeds)
- Wakefield 16, Wigan 24 (SLR27, 1/9/19)
- Wigan 46, Wakefield 16 (SLR23, 18/7/19)
- Wakefield 30, Wigan 20 (SLR10, 12/4/19)
- Wigan 25, Wakefield 10 (SLS8-R4, 6/9/18)
- Wakefield 32, Wigan 16 (SLR17, 7/6/18)
- Wigan 30, Wakefield 18 (SLR5, 11/3/18)
Super League summary
Wigan wins: 41
Wakefield wins: 13
Speaking to the media in his weekly press conference on Tuesday, the Warriors head coach began by discussing the opposition.
“We know this side quite well having played them a lot in recent years. They do move the ball well and if we are not careful they can hurt us.
“They’ve got some of the best individuals in the comp when you break them down. We’ve got to make sure we are on our game.
“We need to continue to bring that energy we’ve shown recently and keep working hard for each other and as a team.”
The man in the middle on Friday will be Tom Grant.
You can buy tickets in either of these two ways:
- Buy online – https://embed.futureticketing.ie/c/wigan-warriors/
- Call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111.
Fans are strongly advised to book in advance to avoid excess queuing at the DW Stadium ticket office on game day.
The Club would like to welcome all our loyal supporters back to the DW Stadium now that Covid restrictions have been lifted.
As the rules on social distancing and the need to wear a face covering have been relaxed, both Wigan Warriors and the DW Stadium would encourage our supporters to carry on wearing face coverings and on sanitising their hands to protect both yourself and each other.
With turnstiles and concourse facilities now being opened up, Wigan Warriors and the DW Stadium would also ask that supporters look to maintain (whenever possible) social distancing etiquette.
First try scorer predictor
Correctly predict Wigan’s first try scorer against Wakefield and be in with a chance to win a healthy food bundle from the Skinny Food Co!
Just click HERE to enter your guess!
How to Follow
OurLeague closed access
Following the lifting of government restrictions on stadia attendance on Monday 19th July Our League will no longer be offering their streaming service of all Wigan Warriors games to season ticket holders.
Highlights and match reaction will be available on Wigan TV following the result. Not a subscriber? Find out more HERE.
Join commentary team Joe Mills and Bilko (Andrew Rimmer) as they bring you free live commentary of the whole game. Head to the Wigan Warriors home page here from 10 minutes before kick off and click ‘Listen Live’.
Alternatively, head to https://mixlr.com/wigantv to enjoy the commentary and join in the conversation with fellow fans.
Furthermore, Wigan fans can follow every piece of the action via our social media channels and website.
- Twitter (@WiganWarriorsRL) – live game updates and reaction at the final hooter.
- Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – behind-the-scenes action, both before and after kick-off.
- Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – live matchday information and reaction.
- Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including match report, and head coach and players reaction.
Enter the Virtual 50/50 Half Time Draw, offering you great prizes whilst providing a huge revenue boost to our famed Academy! Click here for more info.