- Wigan Warriors name 17 new players for 2021 Academy.
- Leigh Miners represented five times.
- Shane Eccles: “It’s an exciting time as they have been identified and recruited and now have the opportunity to follow numerous players who have progressed along this pathway before them.”
Wigan Warriors have announced 17 new Scholarship players for the latest Academy intake for the 2021 season.
Of the 17, nine amateur clubs are represented, with five players coming from Leigh Miners.
Further afield, there are two players each from Wigan St. Judes, Rylands Sharks, Blackbrook Royals and Siddal.
Ashton Bears, Leigh East, Westhoughton Lions and Halton Hornets are also represented with one player from each club.
Junior Player Development Manager, Shane Eccles, said: “It’s is great to welcome these young men into our Scholarship programme. They are at the start of their journey through the Club’s Academy system and will, hopefully, eventually progress into the first team squad.
“It’s an exciting time as they have been identified and recruited and now have the opportunity to follow numerous players who have progressed along this pathway before them.
“The players will be in training in the coming weeks and will be honing their rugby skills, alongside developing their physical attributes and learning about the psychological aspects of being a rugby league player.
“Our aim is to help these players develop their talents to become rugby league players. Alongside their rugby programme, we also encourage and promote the players’ education to ensure they are developing off the rugby pitch, as well as on it.
“A big thank you must go to our youth scouting network who are out every weekend watching rugby games all over the country to identify and recruit players that fit the culture of Wigan Warriors.”
Here are the 17 new Scholarship players:
- Brad Dillon (Rylands Sharks)
- Charlie Yeomans (Rylands Sharks)
- Dylan Kelly-Duffy (Blackbrook Royals)
- George Green (Ashton Bears)
- Hayden Grime (Leigh Miners)
- Jack Farrimond (Leigh Miners)
- Jack Lightbown (Westhoughton Lions)
- Joseph Tyrer (Leigh Miners)
- Kalum Rathbone (Leigh Miners)
- Keegan Boyd (Leigh Miners)
- Lewis George (Halton Hornets)
- Luis Houghton (Wigan St. Judes)
- Lukas Mason (Siddal)
- Matthew Thornton (Siddal)
- Nathan Lowe (Leigh East)
- Taylor Kerr (Wigan St. Judes)
- Trent Kelly-Duffy (Blackbrook Royals)
Can you chip in just £1 per week to support our Academy? Join Lotto now and that’s where all the proceeds go… once we’ve paid out some huge weekly prizes! Click here to find out more…