Hull 22 Wigan 30

Hull 22 Wigan 30

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull FC in the Super 8s at the KCOM stadium on Friday night.

  • 30-22 victory sees the Cherry and Whites leapfrog their opponents to go 3rd in the Super League table.

  • Oliver Gildart, Anthony Gelling 2, Tom Davies and John Bateman with Wigan’s tries.


Wigan Warriors gained two vital points in their pursuit of the semi finals after a 30-22 victory at the KCOM stadium.

Hull got on the scoreboard first with a Mark Sneyd penalty but five minutes later in the 9th minute, it was the Warriors who scored the first try through Oliver Gildart.

Mahe Fonua brought the score level before Williams made it 8-6. with a penalty goal. The black and whites were a man down soon after though with Liam Watts sent off for use of the elbow on Michael McIlorum. Wigan 8-6 ahead at the break.

Two tries in the opening ten minutes of the second half from Anthony Gelling and Tom Davies gave the visitors a comfortable 20-6 lead. However, three tries within ten minutes for Hull from Sika Manu, Sneyd and Fonua gave the home side hope of a late comeback.

That optimism soon disappeared though as Wigan sealed the 22-30 win with two late tries from Gelling and John Bateman.

The triumph means the Cherry and Whites now go up to 3rd in the Super 8s table and move above Hull and Wakefield.


Lee Radford had to make four changes to his side with Gareth Ellis and Steve Michaels suspended and Carlos Tuimavave and Chris Green injured. Josh Griffin, Liam Watts, Mark Minichello and Masi Matongo came in.

There were two changes for Shaun Wane’s side as Ryan Sutton and Tom Davies replaced Jack Wells and Joe Burgess.


Hull took the lead in the 4th minute with a Mark Sneyd penalty goal. The Warriors defence interfered at the play the ball and Sneyd stepped up and added the goal to make it 2-0.

In the 9th minute, the Cherry and Whites scored the first try with Oliver Gildart going over. A quick-fire pass by Liam Farrell on the left side found Gildart who eased over the line. George Williams added the two points and Wigan went in front 2-6.

The black and whites pulled level just four minutes later as Mahe Fonua powered passed the Wigan line. A neat kick by Sneyd was caught by Jake Connor and the centre then offloaded the ball to Fonua who went over. Sneyd failed with the attempted kick and the scored stayed at 6-6.

After a scuffle between both sets of players, Wigan gained a penalty 20 metres from the sticks. Williams made no mistake and added the extras to put his ahead again at 6-8.

The home side then went down to 12 men after Liam Watts was sent off in the 22nd minute. The loose forward appeared to use the elbow in the a tackle with Michael McIlorum and referee Robert Hicks showed a red card.

Wigan had a chance to extend their lead as Hull gave away a penalty 30 metres out of their own line. The Warriors opted to take the two but Williams’ kick went wide of the right post meaning it stayed 8-6 in their favour at the break.

Hull FC 6–8 Wigan Warriors


The away side opened the second half with a try from Anthony Gelling. A misplaced pass by Sneyd was intercepted by the right centre on the halfway line and he ran 50 metres to touch down. Williams converted the kick and gave Wigan an eight-point lead.

In the 49th minute, Tom Davies went over to put his team further in front. A well-worked move down the right side resulted in Tommy Leuluai finding space and giving the ball to Gelling who assisted Davies to dive over. Williams’ kick made it 20-6 to the Cherry and Whites.

The black and whites fort back with a try from Sika Manu on the hour mark. Hull sprung the ball out on the right side and the second rower managed to bulldoze his way over past three Wigan men. Sneyd added the two points and cut the score gap to 12-20.

Hull were in again just five minute later through Sneyd. An excellent kick by Albert Kelly towards the in-goal area was chased by the scrum half and he was able to touch the ball down with one hand. Sneyd converted the kick in front of the posts and there was now just two points separating the two sides.

Winger Fonua got his second of the match with just ten minutes remaining. The home side took the lead as Wigan could not collect from a high testing kick by Kelly. The ball came to Fonua and he juggled with it before touching down over the white wash. Sneyd could not convert but Hull were ahead 22-20.

Wigan were giving it their all and forced four sets on the Hull line after some great kick-plays. The pressure told when the ball was shifted onto the right side through allowing Tomkins to give the ball to Gelling who went through a gap to score. Williams could not convert but Wigan led 22-24 with just over two minutes to go.

Hull won the ball back from a short kick-off but soon came up with a knock-on meaning Wigan had a final set of six from which they scored as John Bateman went from dummy half to seal a priceless win.

Hull FC 22–30 Wigan Warriors

Match details

Hull FC - 22

Tries: Mahe Fonua 2, Sika Manu, Marc Sneyd

Goals: Marc Sneyd 3/5

Wigan Warriors - 30

Tries:Oliver Gildart, Anthony Gelling 2, Tom Davies, John Bateman

Goals: George Williams 5/7

HT: 6-8

Attendance: 11,291

Hull FC: 1. Jamie Shaul, 4. Josh Griffin, 2. Mahe Fonua, 14. Jake Connor, 16. Jordan Thompson, 6. Albert Kelly, 7. Marc Sneyd, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 22. Josh Bowden, 12. Mark Minichello, 21. Sika Manu, 10. Liam Watts

Interchange: 17. Danny Washbrook, 25. Jansin Turgut, 28. Brad Fash, 29. Masimbaashe Matongo

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 36. Tom Davies, 3. Anthony Gelling, 4. Oliver Gildart, 35. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 7. Tommy Leuluai, 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala, 9. Micky McIlorum, 15. Tony Clubb, 14. John Bateman, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 19. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 16. Sam Powell, 20. Willie Isa

Referee: Robert Hicks

Recent News & Media

O’Loughlin excited to create history
Worst way to lose
Just not enough
Castleford 19 Wigan 18

Official Partners