Under-19s: Wigan 58 Newcastle 12

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors Under-19s beat Newcastle Thunder Under-19s 58-12 at the Fairhurst Accountants Community Stadium

  • Wigan run in ten tries to finish easy winners against the Newcastle

  • Four tries from Nathaniel Marshall and doubles from Callum Green and Jake Sculthorpe help Wigan record an easy win with Craig Mullen and Samy Kibula also scoring


Wigan Under-19s ran in five tries in both halves to see off Newcastle Thunder on Saturday afternoon.

Wigan dominated the first half and the first try came after just two minutes from Nathaniel Marshall before Craig Mullen got a second after just ten minutes. Newcastle’s kick offs caused Wigan a few problems and it laid the platform for their first try through Jake Woods. The Cherry and Whites were able to stay ahead through a number of tries from Marshall for his second as well as Jake Sculthorpe and Callum Green.

Despite a bright Newcastle start which saw a Dan Coates intercept try, it was much the same in the second half. Marshall scored two more tries with Sculthorpe and Green getting their second efforts of the game with Samy Kibula scoring as well in a one sided second half where Smith kicked all five goals.


Wigan brought Craig Mullen back in place of Joe Brown at full-back with James Barran replacing Sam Grant at centre. Joe Shorrocks’ injury allowed James Worthington to come back at second row with Joe Turton and Samy Kibula starting in the front row after last week’s loss to London.

Newcastle name an unchanged team following their first victory over Super League opposition of the season against Wakefield.


Wigan struck early following a scrum as a Newcastle mix-up gave the Warriors an early chance who spread it wide to Nathaniel Marshall straight from the scrum.

The second score came after a sweeping move found Craig Mullen who stepped inside and made his way to the line under pressure from the defenders. Smith converted his second attempt for. 10-0 lead with ten minutes played.

Newcastle hit back almost immediately however after a mistake from the kick-off. The ball was worked to the right to Jake Woods who broke through the line to score after impressive work from Jack Quinn. Dan Coates converted well to close the gap to 10-6 with 12 minutes on the clock.

A string of penalties found Wigan in strong field position before the ball fell to Marshall on the wing who utilised his blistering pace to get around the defence before spinning inside to finish well. Smith converted again for a 16-6 scoreline after 18 minutes of play.

The Warriors struck again when a smart grubber through the line from Mullen found Jake Sculthorpe in space to score. Smith kicked his third conversion of the match for a 22-6 with seven minutes remaining of the half.

An impressive break from Harry Smith opened up the Newcastle defence before he flicked the ball to Callum Green over the defenders who found the in goal. Smith converted another with the score at 28-6 with less then three minutes until half time.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors U19s 28–6 Newcastle Thunder U19s


Newcastle struck first in the second half after a smart intercept saw Dan Coates break the Wigan line and run 70 metres ahead of a number of chasers. Coates converted his own try and the score stood at 28-12 after two second half minutes.

After a stint of Newcastle pressure Wigan found space again. Mullen took the ball to the line before releasing to Marshall who showed a clean pair of heels again to break away to score. Smith converted the try to extend the Wigan lead again to 34-12, 12 minutes into the second half.

Wigan prop Joe Turton put his side on the front foot with a good break that put the Warriors on the Thunder line on the last before Kibula put a deft grubber into the in goal for Sculthorpe to score his second. Smith was successful again to increase the score to 40-12.

The Warriors were in again from the scrum when a perfectly weighted Callum Green chip kick bounced up for Marshall to gather and go in to score his fourth of the game. Smith was able to convert and Wigan led 46-12 with 20 minutes remaining.

The game had turned into a rout by this point when Oscar Hansen’s classy offload found Kibula in support to score comfortably. Smith converted again as Wigan reached 50 with the score at 52-12 after 66 minutes.

Wigan’s scoring wasn’t yet complete as Mullen’s grubber cut through the Newcastle defence for Green to latch on to and score his second. Smith converted as the referee blew the final whistle with Wigan worthy 58-12 winners.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors U19s 58 –12 Newcastle Thunder U19s

Match Information

Wigan Warriors U19s – 58

Tries: Marshall (4), Mullen, Sculthorpe (2), Green (2), Kibula

Goals: Smith 9/10

Newcastle Thunder U19s - 12

Tries: Woods, Coates

Goals: Coates 2/2

Wigan Warriors U19s: 1. Craig Mullen, 2. Nathaniel Marshall, 3. Jake Sculthorpe, 4. James Barran, 5. Adam Ford, 6. Callum Green, 7. Harry Smith, 8. Joe Turton, 9. Aiden Roden, 10. Sammy Kibula, 11. Joe Pilling, 12. James Worthington, 13. Patrick Casey

Interchange: 18. Nathan Wilde, 19. Oscar Hansen, 20. Jacob Corcoran, 23. Nathan Reidy

Newcastle Thunder U19s: 1. Jack Quinn, 2. Scott Derrick, 3. Jake Woods, 4. Mark McCallan, 5. Anthony Dyne, 6. Daniel Coates, 7. Thomas Wilcox, 13. David Weetman, 14. Owen Reed, 8. Alexander Rae, 11. Jed Charlton, 12 Adam Bibby, 9. Ryan Jones

Interchange: 16. Rory Nettleton, 15. Christopher Paterson, 10. Sam Stephenson, 17. Aaron Harlow-Stephenson

Official Partners