Under 19s: Wigan 40 Castleford 20

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors Under-19s beat Castleford Tigers Under-19s at the Fairhurst Accounts Community Stadium, Orrell

  • Wigan run in seven tries to climb above the Tigers and go top of the table

  • Harry Smith (2), Joe Shorrocks, Caine Barnes, James Barran, Liam Paisley and Sammy Kibula with Wigan’s tries


Wigan Warriors Under-19s beat Castleford Tigers Under-19s 40-20 at the Fairhurst Accounts Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon to go top of the table.

Harry Smith opened the scoring but a reply from Callum McLelland evened things up. Wigan again led through Joe Shorrocks but Callum Turner’s response for the visitors set up an exciting second-half with Wigan leading narrowly at the break, 12-10.

The Warriors made a blistering start to the second half as tries from Caine Barnes, James Barran and Liam Paisley saw them race into a 28-10 lead.

The game opened up in the final ten minutes with four tries scored, two for each side, but Wigan’s lead was never really threatened and a second try from Smith along with a Samy Kibula effort saw them seal a fine win.


Darrell Goulding made four changes to his side that won against Wakefield Trinity last Saturday as James Barran, Sam Grant, Harry Smith, Josh Woods and Caine Barnes came into the team.

Jake Scunthorpe, Nathaniel Marshall, Callum Green and James McDonnell all dropped out.

Jake Sweeting, Jonty Glenddinning, Conor Fitzsimonds, Paddy Burns and Jamel Goodall all made an appearance after missing the away side’s previous match against the Widnes Vikings.


It was the perfect start for Wigan as a mistake on the Castleford line allowed an early attack. A slick move down the right side led to Harry Smith finding space and crossing over for the first try of the game. Josh Woods converted the two points and the Warriors took a 6-0 lead after just two minutes.

Castleford settled into the game and got on the scoresheet ten minutes later through Callum McLelland after a powerful run from from Conor Fitzsimmonds allowed him to throw a pass to the supporting McLelland who went over. Jake Sweeting made no mistake with the boot and levelled the score at six apiece.

Midway through the half a sublime Wigan move down the middle resulted in Joe Shorrocks crossing the line. Prop Sammy Kibula played a neat pass to Shorrocks who ran through the Castleford defence, with just the full back to beat Shorrocks passed to Craig Mullen who then found Shorrocks to complete the move. Woods kicked the extras and the Warriors were 12-6 in front.

Castleford responded again with a swift attack on the left side through Shay North and Calum Turner. A missed tackle from the Warriors’ defence allowed North to squeeze through and find the full back who scored the try. This time, Sweeting missed the kick and the Tigers were two points behind their opposition at 12-10 at the break.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors U19s 12–10 Castleford Tigers U19s


Wigan started the second 40 in the same manner as the first as Caine Barnes went over the try line. A break by Woods through the Castleford line allowed him to find a pass to the arriving Barnes who increased the scoring. Woods failed with the attempted kick but the Warriors led 16-10 with 43 minutes on the clock.

The home side then went further ahead as James Barran dived over in the right corner. A clever move by Smith opened space and found Barran who was left free to go score Wigan’s fourth try of the game. Woods accurately added another two points, as his difficult kick bounced in off the inside of the right post.

Just after the hour-mark Liam Paisley put daylight between the two sides, as he bulldozed his way over. Smith again, set up the try, as his pass found Paisley who was too strong for the Tigers’ defence. Woods increased his team’s lead to 28-10 with the conversion.

In a moment of twisted fortunes, Pat Diskin fled free of the Wigan defence and brought Castleford back in to the game. A knock-on by James Worthington led to the Tigers to switch from defence to attack and Diskin’s blistering pace was too much for the chasing Cherry and Whites’ defence; however, Turner missed the kick and the score was now at 28-14 with just 10 minutes to go.

Wigan came back three minutes later with a try from Smith. His quick and crafty footwork proved tough for the Castleford line, as he went over for his second of the game. Woods added the extras to make it 34-14.

Castleford came back fighting in the 77th minute as Turner’s silky foot work led to him finding space to score a fine solo effort. He converted his own try, but it was only conciliation, as his team were still 14 points behind their opponents.

The match was sealed when Smith found Kibula who was too strong for the depleted defence. His drive through the Tigers’ line and intelligent footwork to stay inside the line led to his third try in consecutive league games. Woods’ kick was accurate and he completed the 40-20 win.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors U19s 40–20 Castleford Tigers U19s

Match Details

Wigan Warriors U19s – 40

Tries: Smith (2), Shorrocks, Barnes, Barran, Paisley, Kibula

Goals: Woods 6/7

Castleford Tigers U19s – 20

Tries: McLelland, Turner (2), Diskin

Goals: Sweeting 1/2 Turner 1/2

HT: 12-10

Wigan Warriors U19s: 1. Craig Mullen, 2. Joe Brown, 3. James Worthington, 4. James Barran, 5. Sam Grant; 6. Harry Smith, 7. Josh Woods; 8. Oliver Partington, 9. Aiden Roden, 10. Samuel Adejumo, 11. Liam Paisley, 12. Joe Pilling, 13. Joe Shorrocks.

Interchange: 18. Caine Barnes, 15. Samy Kibula, 22. Ben Kilner, 23. Liam Byrne.

Castleford Tigers U19s: 1. Calum Turner, 2. Declan Sheehan, 3. Robbie Storey, 4. Pat Diskin, 5. Jack Render, 6. Callum McLelland, 7. Jake Sweeting, 8. Rory Dixon, 9. Luke Million, 10. Zack Freer, 11. Joe Summers, 12. Jonty Glenddinning, 13. Conor Fitzsimonds.

Interchange: 14. Paddy Burns, 15. Harvey Kear, 16. Jamel Goodall, 17. Shay North.

Image - Sean Gosling

Official Partners