Wigan 12 St Helens 32

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors Reserves lose 32-12 to St Helens

  • Warriors edged out against experienced St Helens side

  • Callum Field and Sammy Kibula with Wigan’s tries


Gabriel Fell returned to action as Wigan Warriors Reserves lost 32-12 to St Helens at Robin Park.

The young full-back played for the first time since July last year after a knee injury.

The sides were level at 6-6 midway through the first half after Callum Field cancelled out Joe Cator’s try. The visitors then scored three tries in quick succession through Liam Cooper, Dave Eccleston and Calvin Wellington to lead 24-6.

Wigan hit back on the stroke of half-time through Sammy Kibula meaning they trailed 24-12 going to the sheds.

In a hard-fought second period the teams cancelled each other out up until the 67th minute when Wigan were called offside and Danny Richardson added a penalty goal. Richardson then turned provider as he put Kevin Brown in at the corner to seal the win for the Saints 32-12.


Gabriel Fell returned for Wigan having last played on dual-reg for Swinton back in July of last year. First team squad players Caine Barnes and Callum Field also featured for the Cherry and Whites.

Swinton’s Grant Gore, Luke Waterworth and Josh Houghton all took part in the game as part of the on-going dual-registration deal between the two clubs.

First team squad players Danny Richardson, Jonah Cunningham, Reegan Grace, Matty Fleming, Ricky Bailey, Jack Ashworth and Calvin Wellington all featured for St Helens.


Wigan had chances early on with Sammy Kibula going closest held up over the line. The Warriors also made a good break up the middle through Gabriel Fell but once again couldn’t score and the visitors made them pay as they went the length of the field with Joe Cator finishing off the move.

Just two minutes later and Wigan hit straight back as Saints fumbled the restart to concede a drop-out. From the resulting set Grant Gore found Callum Field on an angled run who ghosted over. Josh Woods followed Danny Richardson’s lead and converted Wigan’s try to level it up at 6-6.

Both sides had good field position but it was St Helens who made the most of it when in the 28th minute a well-worked move down the right saw Liam Cooper put them back in front.

Six minutes later and Wigan looked threatening on the Saints line but Richardson picked Wigan’s pockets with the intercept and put Dave Eccleston in open space to complete the 90-metre try.

The away side then scored again from the next set as a one-two between centre Calvin Wellington and winger Reegan Grace saw the former go over. Richardson had a 100% record with the boot by this stage meaning Saints led 24-6.

Wigan were far from out of it and scored on the stroke of half time as Woods’ bouncing kick found Sammy Kibula who crashed over the line. Woods converted meaning the sides turned around with Saints leading 24-12.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors Reserves 12–24 St Helens Reserves


Both sides had chances in an open start to the second period. Great scrambling Wigan defence kept Ricky Bailey out seven minutes in with Sam Grant going close for Wigan just moments later.

Wigan continued to grow into the half and enjoyed a good spell around the hour-mark but were unable to cross the whitewash.

In similar fashion to the first half Wigan couldn’t trouble the scoreboard at the crucial moments and were made to pay, this time by a penalty goal, as Richardson slotted home the two after Wigan were caught offside. Crucially with 13 minutes to go the visitors had a three-try lead again at 26-12.

Reegan Grace then had a chance to extend the lead but came up with a knock-on with the line at his mercy. Minutes later though Saints were in for the match-clinching try as Richardson’s high ball was fumbled meaning the half-back could collect and pass to Kevin Brown who dived in at the right corner. Richardson’s goal finishing the scoring at 32-12.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors Reserves 12–32 St Helens Reserves

Match Details

Wigan Warriors Reserves - 12

Tries: Callum Field, Sammy Kibula

Goals: Josh Woods 2/2

St Helens Reserves – 32

Tries: Joe Cator, Liam Cooper, Dave Eccleston, Calvin Wellington, Kevin Brown

Goals: Danny Richardson 6/6

HT: 12-24


Wigan Warriors: 1. Gabe Fell, 2. Craig Mullen, 24. James Worthington, 4. James Barran, 28. Sam Grant, 6. Grant Gore, 7. Josh Woods, 8. Callum Field, 9. Josh Ganson, 10. Ollie Partington, 12. Paddy Casey, 11. Liam Paisley, 15. Sammy Kibula

Interchange: 13. Luke Waterworth, Josh Houghton, 16. Liam Byrne, 20. Joe Brown, 17. Nathan Wilde, 19. Joe Shorrocks, 23. Caine Barnes

St Helens: 1. Ricky Bailey, 2. Kevin Brown, 3. Dave Eccleston, 4. Calvin Wellington, 5. Reegan Grace, 18. Matty Fleming, 6. Danny Richardson, 8. Greg Richards, 9. Aaron Smith, 17. Jack Ashworth, 11. Liam Cooper, 12. Joe Cator, 13. Jonah Cunningham

Interchange: 10. Brad Clavering, 15. Will Jubb, 16. George Milton, 19. Jordan Gibbons

Official Partners