Wigan 14 Hull FC 18

  • Match report as Wigan lost in the 2017 Challenge Cup Final to Hull

  • Warriors cruelly lose out 14-18 at Wembley Stadium

  • John Bateman, Oliver Gildart and Joe Burgess with Wigan’s tries

Wigan agonisingly lost out to Hull FC in the 2017 Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Final at Wembley.

The Warriors got the bounce of the ball early on as they pounced on a Hull error to score through John Bateman. Hull hit back through wingers Fetulia Talanoa and Mahe Fonua, both tries from kicks, to lead 12-6 midway through the half. Oliver Gildart’s try brought Wigan back within two points, 10-12 down at the break.

Hull edged further in front in the 50th minute as Fonua scored again, the winger was later denied a hat-trick for obstruction. Moments later Tony Clubb also had an effort denied as he lost the ball going over the whitewash, the referee ruling a no try rather than a ball-steal.

Wigan came again and Joe Burgess’ 74th minute effort brought them to within four points. Burgess crossed the line again in the final minute but it was ruled out for a forward pass meaning Hull took the tightest of wins.


Tom Davies was cruelly ruled out late on after failing a fitness test on an ankle injury meaning Wigan kept the same team that beat Salford last time out.

Hull’s Gareth Ellis was named as captain on what would be his final appearance in a Challenge Cup game.


Wigan made the finest of starts as a Tommy Leuluai high ball was allowed to bounce and Anthony Gelling collected then passed inside to John Bateman who scored. George Williams added the two and Wigan 6-0 up inside just five minutes.

A kick had put Wigan in front and Hull followed suit as Jamie Shaul’s lofted ball was picked out of the air by Fetuli Talanoa in the 13th minute, Marc Sneyd levelling things up at 6-6.

Hull were beginning to put more pressure on the Wigan line and forced a drop-out in the 19th minute. From that they scored as Sneyd’s kick wasn’t dealt with and Mahe Fonua crossed the line. Sneyd used his boot again to give Hull a 12-6 advantage.

No team was really taking hold of the game but Wigan looked to have the better of the action territorially and they added to their collection in the 32nd minute when good hands down the left allowed Oliver Gildart to finish in the corner.

Wigan were unable to draw level as the conversion missed the target. Neither side created any more chances in the first half meaning Hull went in ahead 12-10.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 10–12 Hull FC


Hull had the first chance of the half as Sneyd’s kick was allowed to bounce but Josh Griffin fumbled it whilst trying to collect with the line at his mercy.

Just minutes later though the Black and Whites did score as Albert Kelly worked a gap down the right and put Fonua over who finished well. Sneyd added the two and Hull led 18-10 after 50 minutes.

Fonua looked to have scored his hat-trick on the hour mark but it was correctly cancelled out as Phil Bentham spotted an obstruction on Oliver Gildart in the pass leading up to the try and the video referee agreed.

Wigan then had a video referee decision of their own as Tony Clubb went over, it wasn’t given on the field and after several replays James Child decided that he had lost the ball.

The Warriors were not giving up and having defended relentlessly they pounced in attack to hand themselves a chance as Sean O’Loughlin’s cut-out pass found Liam Farrell who put Joe Burgess in at the corner. Wigan 14-18 Hull FC with six minutes left on the clock.

Hearts were racing around Wembley, not one had left early as the game continued in dramatic fashion.

A flowing Wigan set right to left then back again saw them just come up short in the 77th minute, George Williams the man who was within inches.

In the final minute Joe Burgess crossed the line but the move was pulled back for a forward pass meaning Hull took the win.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 14-18 Hull FC

Match Details

Wigan Warriors - 14

Tries: John Bateman, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess

Goals: George Williams 1/3

Hull FC - 18

Tries: Fetuli Talanoa, Mahe Fonua 2

Goals: Marc Sneyd 3/3

HT: 10-12

Attendance: 68,525

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 35. Liam Marshall, 3. Anthony Gelling, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Tommy Leuluai, 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala, 9. Micky McIlorum, 15. Tony Clubb, 14. John Bateman, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 20. Willie Isa, 19. Ryan Sutton, 16. Sam Powell, 17. Taulima Tautai

Hull FC: 1. Jamie Shaul, 2. Mahe Fonua, 4. Josh Griffin, 3. Carlos Tuimavave, 5. Fetulia Talanoa, 6. Albert Kelly, 7. Marc Sneyd, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 10. Liam Watts, 21. Sika Manu, 12. Mark Minichello, 13. Gareth Ellis

Interchange: 14. Jake Connor, 22. Josh Bowden, 17. Danny Washbrook, 15. Chris Green

Exclusive match highlights and reaction on Wigan TV HERE.

To sync Wigan’s fixtures with your calendar CLICK HERE.

Official Partners